From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of meekerdb
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:30 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: "Animals think like autistic humans"

On 12/31/2014 4:00 PM, Kim Jones wrote:

Thinking, however, is a highly evolved skill of many parts involving values and
beliefs and motivations and agendas and theories and risk-taking. Lifting a cup
to your lips to swallow a liquid requires no thinking. The skill is embedded
since infancy, so it is with savants.

But there's not a sharp distinction.  Many skills must be developed
thoughtfully and then they can become automatic.  Riding a bicycle is the
paradigmatic case, but it probably applies to drinking from cup too.

Taking what Brent said a step further; there is no clear sharp line for
thinking itself! The mind/brain is far more extended than the self-aware voice
boxes we all inhabit… looking out from within. Lifting the cup to drink may not
require conscious thought, after it has been learned, but watch an infant try
to do it their first times and witness a conscious struggle as the wee little
young forebrain neural synaptic dynamic circuitry tries to coordinate that
human mastered trick of life.

When we speak of “thinking” it is incumbent to remain clear that the mind is
far greater than the conscious tip we are conscious about. Our self-aware
conscious selves, in many cases, can be shown to only become aware of events
and decisions, measurably lagging behind preceding bursts of neural activity
lighting up in glorious cascades of network activity within the mind/brain. How
much of our thinking makes it to the level of the executive self-narrating
forebrain centered self awareness; versus how much of life’s thinking and
executive decisions, including complex algorithmic tasks – such as drinking
from a cup – are instead performed without bothering the self-aware {sub-part}
of the larger mind/brain/organism.

-Chris

Brent
The nipple is the only truly intuitive interface.