> On 23 Jan 2015, at 4:06 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> How about mirror gonads?  I think that'd work too.

Just watch someone receive a swift kick to the gonads and try to resist
crossing your legs

>>> They link my neurons to others the same way they link my neurons to rocks -
>>> through perception.   You do realize when watching a porno that it's an
>>> image on a screen.  No neurons are involved, except yours.
>>>

>> But neurons were clearly involved by others in the making of the image by
>> the participants onscreen, clearly. You are introducing the time postulate
>> which would seem to break the link between the two consciousnesses. I don't
>> think it does. The information about neuronal excitation (hence
>> consciousness) is present however, EVEN when it's only a movie.
>
> Information about bodily positions is usually in the video - but information
> about neuronal excitations?  Was that there in the visuals before anybody
> knew about neurons?
>
> Brent

Yes. But how else could perception work except via pattern recognition which
comes across in films? The film invites you to 'recognise' an experience you
are having which is describes by the contents of the film. The film does not
describe something external to,you. The film describes your experience as you
watch the film. Before anybody knew about neurons, people still had neurons and
they worked. The point is - using porn as an example (you could of course use
anything involving the self witnessing someone else's experience of something,
even torture) that you vicariously experience someone else's experience which
makes you a participant in that experience at another level of meaning which is
perhaps the whole point of it. You undergo a delayed parallel neuronal
excitation process. You don't need to be up on neuroscience to understand why
porn has an effect, or watching base-jumping clips or whatever rings your bell.
It's all to do with shared consciousness - in this case via a VR simulation for
you of what you want to experience.

Kim