On 23 Jan 2015, at 00:24, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/22/2015 9:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 21 Jan 2015, at 20:27, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/21/2015 3:48 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
If you completely discard the concept of "truth" and replace it entirely with "evolutionary usefulness" - does that change anything?

I think it might. For example, suppose we all share the same consciousness. It is evolutionary useful to maintain the illusion that this is not the case (thus my previous rant).

If you "start with consciousness" then it is fundamental that consciousness if not shared - otherwise I'd be conscious of it.

I guess you mean "is not shared".

But are you not conscious right now, we do share the experience of being conscious, even if we don't share the exact same relative contents.

But I'm not conscious of you being conscious.

That's why you cannot be sure that we have a different basic consciousness. We might be the same person, with different relative identity. In fact it is a benign move to bet that we are the same universal person (S4Grz(PA) or S4Grz(M))(*) with diverging experiences, like the W and M guy. With computationalism, we are God playing hide and seek with itself. Illumination is when you remember being that guy with no or few experience. It is comparable with the reminiscence of being a baby, but it is a universal baby.

(*) From now on, I will write X(M) for the interpretation of the modal logic X in the terms of the machine M. For example, without further ado, in G(PA) the box [] is for Gödel's beweisbar predicate.