On 02 Apr 2015, at 04:08, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 01 Apr 2015, at 03:58, Bruce Kellett wrote:
The digital simulation of brain functions is achieved on a physical computer after all, which is a physical object itself -- simulating (primitive) physical processes.
Assuming a physical object, which I do not (nor do I assume they don't exist). Comp, the hypothesis is nutral on what exist, except for what is needed to have a UTM, so it assumes one UTM, if you want, but not necessarily a physical UTM.

You said somewhere that a computation is dynamical, not static,

Yes. That is important. But the notion of time needed is only some morphism in N. Compuational steps, which can be define in arithmetic in the relative way. (This has been done with the first intensional variant of provability by Rosser).

which is why you rejected the notion that Champernow's number contains all possible computations and hence is a dovetailer: "(0,1234567891011 ..) does not emulate anything, despite describing (in some ways) all computations."

It describes the computations, but does not emulate them, contrary to arithmetic. That diophantine polynomial describes all computations is very easy to prove. That they emulate all UTMs took 50 years of hard work, and was thought y many being obviously impossible.

Emulation is a dynamical process in time. I wonder where you get a time variable for your UTM.

By a variable on the computational steps. It has nothing to do with a physical time a priori.

All that you say about the UTM and the dovetailer appears to assume an instantiation in some temporal structure.

Not at all.

I do not see time as a parameter in arithmetic! In other words, your dovetailer has to be running on a physical UTM.

Nope.

You claim above that it does not have to be physical. I would like you to point me to a non-physical Turing machine that actually runs programs. I.e., not just a description of a Turing machine.

You need to understand the difference between syntax and semantic in arithmetic. I will come back on this later. It is not easy to explain as people already confuse easily the number 0 and the symbol 0.

I have downloaded your SANE04 paper and will work through it in time.

OK. That is rather wise if you want criticize it.

A first glance suggests that I will have objections at very many points.

I wold be very happy to hear them.

Bruno

Bruce