Le 14 avr. 2015 03:04, "Stathis Papaioannou" <stath...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On 14 April 2015 at 09:52, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> > Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> >>

> >> My body disintegrates yet I feel that I persist. I say this means
personal
> >> identity is an illusion; you can disagree about use of the word
"illusion"
> >> but the underlying fact is unchanged.
> >

> > I think all you are saying is that you don't believe in Cartesian
duality --
> > there is no separate 'soul' that survives bodily changes and provides
the
> > 'true' personal identity. I don't think the Cartesian model is
necessary for
> > one to be able to say that personal identity is not just an illusion.
>
> It's an illusion even in a dualist model, because dualism does not
> logically rule out copying.

Some sort of dualisms could allow duplication others don't. Saying you can
whatever methaphysical axioms is false. Consciousness could be linked for
example by an invisible force to your body by an unknown and unknowable and
unmeasurable link that cannot ne copied or associated to another body.
Starting with if consciousness is duplicable, then letting the if down *is*
a metaphysical commitment. As far as real science goes we have never ever
duplicated consciousness. I'm not saying it is not possible, because as I
recall to you, I mainly believe in computationalism, but right now all
options are open and even if one day we can and do make copies, we're still
lacking any sharable tests that can without questions prove it or give
enough evidences.

Quentin

The illusion, to spell it out further, is