>>> position...
>>> logical

>>> is not
>>> that

>>> consciousness
>>> than

>>> is
>>> never
>>> duplicable...
>>>
>>> OK, I did say at one point "if consciousness is duplicable". That does
>>> not necessarily imply anything about its truth; for example, I could say
>>> "if all bachelors are unmarried men" and then go on to assert that it is in
>>> fact the case because it's analytically true. There is a substantive issue
>>> to discuss if we are asking whether it is physically possible to duplicate
>>> consciousness, because it depends on the particular theory of
>>> consciousness, whether physicalist or dualist or whatever, as well as
>>> certain other facts about the world, such as whether the physics in the
>>> brain is Turing emulable. But whether consciousness is LOGICALLY duplicable
>>> is a separate question, which has a bearing on the problem of physical
>>> identity. I think it is obvious that consciousness is logically duplicable,
>>

>> Not it is not... it bears on the foundation of reality... so depending on
>> the metaphysical stance you have, it can or cannot *logically* be
>> duplicated.
>>
>> I don't see how logic *alone* can entails that consciousness is
>> duplicable or not... you have not demonstrated such thing.
>>
>> Logically means it follows logical laws and rules of inference... if you
>> start with the axiom that consciousness is unique and cannot be duplicated
>> by its essence of being unique, then it is unique and cannot be duplicated
>> in that theory... and it contradicts absolutely no logic...
>>
>> Statement about consciousness duplication are true or not depending on
>> the theory of consciousness you use... so the *IF* is necessary and cannot
>> be dismissed *without* specifying in the first place the theory(ies) of
>> consciousnes you're using.
>>

> I imagine a copy that thinks just like me, feels just like me, remembers
> what I remember, bears the same relationship to me as I bear to my self of
> a moment ago.

I can too, and I can imagine, that the copy think it is me but is missing
something the original would have noticed but not the copy.

> Perhaps this can't actually be created depending on what theory of
> consciousness you subscribe to, but I can imagine it - it is not incoherent,

I didn't say it was incoherent, what I say, is that it is rooted in a
metaphysical commitment and is not an absolute truth.

> and it can't be uni-imagined. If you then say, "yes, but that copy you
> imagine would not really be a copy, because by assumption consciousness is
> non-duplicable", that then makes the notion of continuity of consciousness
> incoherent.

But who said that it has to be ? If the reality is inconsistent, it is
inconsistent even if you wished it must not be, if it is, it is and that's
all. Also, it seems vaccuous to say that you can do a copy if in theory of
reality you have, you'll never been able to do it even in principle.

Like the theory I've said earlier, where consciousness is linked to the
body by a thing we can't access (and even know, because our instrument
can't measure it, and no instrument we could ever build could do it)... in
that theory (which I don't believe of course) *you can't make a copy*. That
reality would not be inconsistent.

> For it would mean that there is a special quality conferring continuity
> which makes no objective and no subjective difference - which is no
> difference at all.

But it would make a difference, because *that special quality* would
*prevent* you to do any copy... you'll *never* be able to do one in such
reality, you could wish it all you want, you would not be able to do it...
so it would make a subjective difference, because you couldn't have a copy
pretending to be you and do everything you do and have all the memory you
have, so the pretended copy would not have any subjective POV *at all*.

Quentin