LizR wrote:
In Bruno's "COMP 2013" paper he says
The notion of the first person, or the conscious knower, admits the
    simplest possible definition: it is provided by access to basic
    memories. Consciousness, despite its non-definability, facilitates
    the train of reasoning in humans; but we justifiably might have used
    digital machines instead.

Given this, in my opinion there is no problem with what is meant by step 3. Bruno makes no attempt to define personal identity beyond the contents of memories. Whether one "really" survives being teleported, or falling asleep and waking up the next day, isn't relevant. "Moscow man" is just the guy who remembers being Helsinki man, then finding himself in Moscow (for example). Hence Helsinki man can't predict any first person experience, only what will happen from a 3p view. Or if he didn't know duplication was involved, he would assume that he had a 50-50 chance of ending up in M or W.

But this is a rather self-serving definition -- designed to fit in with the conclusion he wants to draw. We are entering the realm of the Humpty-Dumpty dictionary -- words no longer have their ordinary, everyday meaning.

Bruce