Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 16 Apr 2015, at 04:23, Bruce Kellett wrote:

LizR wrote:
In Bruno's "COMP 2013" paper he says
    The notion of the first person, or the conscious knower, admits the
   simplest possible definition: it is provided by access to basic
   memories. Consciousness, despite its non-definability, facilitates
   the train of reasoning in humans; but we justifiably might have used
   digital machines instead.
Given this, in my opinion there is no problem with what is meant by step 3. Bruno makes no attempt to define personal identity beyond the contents of memories. Whether one "really" survives being teleported, or falling asleep and waking up the next day, isn't relevant. "Moscow man" is just the guy who remembers being Helsinki man, then finding himself in Moscow (for example). Hence Helsinki man can't predict any first person experience, only what will happen from a 3p view. Or if he didn't know duplication was involved, he would assume that he had a 50-50 chance of ending up in M or W.

But this is a rather self-serving definition -- designed to fit in with the conclusion he wants to draw. We are entering the realm of the Humpty-Dumpty dictionary -- words no longer have their ordinary, everyday meaning.

In science, all popular terms are redefined. This is just clarification. You could attack Einstein and say that he refines terms to suit his conclusion. You can pretend that those mad people who pretend that the earth is round have just redefined the meaning of earth. It is a universal critics bearing on the whole of science.

At some point you need to relate the terms of your theories to the real everyday world. If your theory relies on some particular definition of personal identity, then you have to show that this definition means that your are talking about real, ordinary, everyday people. If your terms do not relate, then your theory has no content.

Einstein, through his theories, changed our understanding of the nature of space and time. But he did this in terms of common, well understood concepts such as clocks and measuring rods. If he had redefined the basic concept of measurement, then people would certainly have asked him what he was talking about. Science does not work by definition. Sometimes technical terms are required, and these need to be defined, but unless such terms are ultimately related to standard concepts, then there is no evidence that the theory has anything to do with the real world. In science, of course, the ultimate test is always observation -- a successful theory has to accord with observation, when it is usually the case that technical terms are of secondary importance. The abstract theory of today is taught in high school in a few years time.

You must take the definition given, and study the proof, that's all. if not, you are the one using argument of popularity which are authoritative argument, and are non valid.

No, it is not an argument from authority. That is an unreasonable accusation. What I am requiring is that the terms you use, like the concept of personal identity, are related to the meaning such terms have in the real world. If you are not talking about real people, then it is difficult to see any merit in the theory.

Bruce