On 5/4/2015 11:32 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 04 May 2015, at 10:23, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
<mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 4 May 2015 at 06:45, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com
    <mailto:te...@telmomenezes.com>> wrote:

        Of course believing in the supernatural is absurd -- what does that
even mean?
        If, for example, ghosts were real, then this would just mean that
current
        scientific theories are incomplete or wrong.

    That would just mean the terminology isn't very good. It would be more
accurate to
    say you do (or don't) believe in ghosts.

That's a good point.
Of course the non-materialist deals with ontological problems. Do entities perceived under the influence of psychoactive drugs exist in some sense?

At Iridia, there has been a talk and demo of Virtual Reality. I have been very often disappointed, but this time I have been quite impressed. They have solved the main problems, and the immersion feeling was quite realist, in all direction where you looked, without any screen border, and perfect real time synchronization for any type of the move of your head or eyes.

Does this involve wearing 3D display goggles such as Occulus Rift?

https://www.oculus.com/

My son has created a video game, "Homesick", of the exploration/puzzle genre, which will be available for Occulus. I tried out their goggles and the experience is quite realistic in terms of looking around. In a test at a video game exhibition many people trying them could not bring themselves to step off a virtual cliff.

Brent

In one demo there was a creature, was it real? Those things are relatively real. Like in personal nocturnal dream, or when reading a novel, and with comp, like with physicalism, there is a physical reality, which is a priori different from a machine (as it is a sum of the work of all machine) "acting" below our substitution level. In arithmetic, one virtual reality is less virtual than all the others, as it has the "correct" comp bottom. That define a notion of "physically real", and most entities perceived in inebriated state are very often not physically real. But they might still be images of important routine operating in the brain of a large class of possible subject, and be entities living on alternate reality planes, but still there by Turing-Universal + FPI.

Virtual reality might help people for the thought experiences, and many (new)
things.

But in the long run, we have to be careful, as the poor might one day not afford visiting a non virtual reality. If we don't think a bit, we might end up all in brains in vats.

Bruno

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
email to
    <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>