On 5/15/2015 2:38 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 3:07 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
<mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 13 May 2015 at 21:30, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com
    <mailto:te...@telmomenezes.com>> wrote:

            Clouds, especially high clouds have some effect.  They reflect
visible bands
            back to space and they also absorb and reemit IR. Low clouds tend to
            increase heat load because they reflect in the day, but they
insulate day
            and night.  It's not magic, it's just calculation.

        Of course, I am not suggesting it's anything else.
        My question is about complex interactions between these several
phenomena. Does
        a change in the composition of the atmosphere affect cloud formation?
In what
        ways? Does temperature?

    Is the idea that we shouldn't do anything because we haven't got a perfect
model of
    the atmosphere?

Is it unreasonable to ask for evidence and serious risk analysis before messing with the energy supply chain that keeps 7 billion people alive?

How is replacing one energy supply with a different energy supply endangering
those people.

    I assume that isn't the point - after all, if we followed that logic we'd
still be
    living in caves.

If progress depended on planet-wide collective action and consensus, we would surely still be living in caves. We are not living in caves because people look for realistic solutions to the problems they are faced with. There is no planetary "we", and I think that's a good thing. In some dystopian scenarios, survival may not be worth it.

    But then what is the point?

The point is to do risk analysis and treat the problem as a trade-off, because cutting CO2 emissions is far from not having potentially catastrophic consequences too.

Nobody is relying on having CO2 to breathe. So replacing the energy has no downsides except economic ones.