On 1 June 2015 at 12:32, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 June 2015 at 06:37, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > LizR:
> > I find it "funny" if so many thinking minds on this list (and around the
> > world?) take your
> >
> > "...You are simply assuming the truth of what you have so far failed to
> > demonstrate."
> >
> > seriously, YET the list continues in this endless self-assured worldview
> > debate - some times even including views from OTHER 'religions' as well.
> > So far I have not seen any justification to 'beheadings', 'floggings',
> > 'stonings' and other brutal activity recalling the medieval
> inhumanities, as
> > pertaining to the "goodness" of the God believed by such perpetrators.
> They
> > believe to be honored for their brutality and inhumanity by eternal
> bliss in
> > Heaven.
> > Any remarks to that? it may be even more relevant than the Creatorship
> etc.
> > JM
>
> I think Samiya would say that if God thinks beheadings, floggings and
> stonings are good, then they are good, by definition.
>
> I suppose if there really is a God, a Heaven, and a Hell (though I find
the idea abhorent and illogical that any loving God would allow Hell to
exist) then it's possible to come up with a rational explanation for why
they might be good. As Larry Niven had a character suggest in a short
story, a rational reason for suicide would be that there really is a Hell,
and it gets worst the longer you put off going there,

"Abolish all doubt and what's left is not faith, but absolute heartless
conviction."
 -- Lesley Hazleton, author of 'The First Muslim,' a new look at the life
of Muhammad.