On 12 Sep 2015, at 18:13, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:

Clifford Pickover (mathematical biologist) once did an interview with Godel, and a few weeks later, had a dream in which he and Godel were playing chess, and in the dream Godel swept his arm across the chessboard knocking all the pieces over. Pickover said he woke up an noted the time. Later that morning he said he was informed of Godel's passing, which happened to be the same time as his dream. Godel also believed in an afterlife (crazy?) but only if the universe rotated. It does not appear to rotate.

I hear that for the first time, what is the reference for "Godel also believed in an afterlife (crazy?) but only if the universe rotated. It does not appear to rotate.",

I was aware that Gödel was open to the possibility of after-life, but more related to non-mechanism than to mechanism. And if what you say is true, it illustrates that Gödel was still Aristotelian., and still believing in the mind-brain identity thesis (which break up both with computationalism or with QM-without-collapse (I think).

And, BTW, once we assume mechanism, I don't see how we can avoid afterlife, and indeed afterlives. The problem is more in the fact that that there are too many, of many different sorts. Not that I believe this, or not: it is just a simple consequence of computationalisme, or classical indexical computationalism (to distinguish the theo(techno)logical thesis from the metaphorical use).

Bruno

-----Original Message-----
From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 11, 2015 3:56 pm
Subject: Re: Gödel's Philosophy

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 , Pierz <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​ It's amazing to me that a man of Gödel's brilliance could take the drivel of the ontological argument seriously. Did I miss something about that specious piece of sophistry?
Godel
​ wrote his ​ ontological ​ stuff in his ​ later years when he went off the rails ​,​ ​but​ fortunately even at his worst he retained enough sanity to know he should not publish the thing ​, that came after his death​ . ​I think ​ Godel was ​the​ ​greatest ​ logician ​of all time but he had some very illogical ideas. Godel was always a very odd man and he got odder as he got older ​ especially after his best friend, Albert Einstein, died in 1955 ​ . He sealed his windows shut because he thought night air was deadly ​ except on t he coldest days of winter ​when​ he thought somebody ​would try to murder hi ​m​ with poison gas, ​ and​ ​ he wore ​ a ​ heavy woolen coat on the hottest day ​ of summer​ ​ , ​ Godel believed in ghosts ​ ​ and for unknown reasons he insisted on putting lots of cheap plastic flamingos on his front lawn. ​Godel disliked talking to people but if he had to he insisted they do it on the telephone even if they were just a few feet away. ​Godel ended up starving himself to death, he refused to eat because he thought unnamed sinister forces were trying to poison him. The great logician weighed 65 pounds when he died in 1978 from, according to the ​official ​ death certificate, ​ "​ lack of food brought on by paranoia ​"​ .
​  John K Clark​

Other than that I'm in 87.5% agreement with him...