On 03 Oct 2015, at 04:25, John Clark wrote:

O​n Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wr rote

>  you seem to doubt that the existence of computation in arithmetic.

Yes, I'm not dogmatic on the subject but I have​ ​grave​ ​ doubts​ ​about​ ​the existence of computation in arithmetic; certainly​ ​nobody has ever seen​ ​even a hint of​ ​such a thing.

You are dead wrong here, as we don't need a hint, we have a proof, and it is in all textbook in mathematical logic. Unless you allude to a notion of "physical computation" which has not been defined.

> your argument relies on a notion of physical computation.
Yes, I have no doubts whatsoever

​about​ the existence of computation in physics.

I translate: ... physical existence of the physical implementation of arithmetical computation. That is possible. But that has nothing to do with the proven existence of computation in arithmetic. You can emulate the (universal) computation even with only diophantine degree four polynomial.

> When I ask what that is, your definition seems to be "implementation of computation (in the arithmetical sense) in a physical reality,​​ which contradicts your statement that computation does not exist in arithmetic.

Arithmetical objects ​(like numbers) ​can be​ ​computed​ ​ no doubt about​,​ it​ ​but​ ​as far as we know​ ​not by arithmetic, only by physics.

As far as you know, I would say.

​> ​which contradicts your statement that computation does not exist in arithmetic.

​There is no contradiction, ​arithmetical objects ​​can certainly be ​computed​ ​but the question is what is doing the computing,

The relative universal numbers, which exists like prime number exists.

is physics doing it or is arithmetic doing it to itself? I think physics is more likely.

Which explains a lot. You are unaware of what is a computation in computer science.

> you persist in confusing what is a computation in the CHurch- Turing sense,

​If ​ ​"​computation in the C​h​urch-Turing sense​" doesn't mean finding a particular solution to a particular arithmetical problem then "computation in the C​h​urch-Turing sense​" INTEL would not find it interesting and neither would I.​

The theory is born from reflexions in the foundation of math, if we except the work of Babbage. The physical implementation has come later, and although interesting, is not reated to the theory. It needs another theory which assumes a physical reality, or derive it from the numbers, and the notion of physical computations is a different concept.

​> ​none of those theories can perform calculations, no theory can,

​I agree​

Actually theory are not necessarily supposed to be able to do that,

​I agree. ​

​> ​only machine (in the mathematical sense) can do that.

​O​nl​​y ​a ​machine (in the ​PHYSICAL​ sense) can do that.

Not at all. In the arithmetical sense, they do it too, and no machine can know from personal introspection if they are primitively run by the arithmetical reality of by a physical reality.

​> ​Now, it happens that if a theory is sigma_1 complete, like RA and PA, they can do that, because such theories are universal machine

​If you know how to do that then for God's sake stop talking about it and just do it, start the Sigma 1 PARA Hardware Corporation ​and change the world!​

Straw man.

​> ​Physical material can do that [computation] in the physical world
Yes and only physical material can do that

Sure, but circular with computationalism as we have to explain mind and matter appearance from number relations. It works up to now.

​,​ and I have a explanation of why that is so. You do not.

You don't read it, that's all. You said it so.

> but here we talk about the computation done in arithmetic.

No​,​​ ​here we talk about the computation done TO arithmetical​ ​objects​ ​(​by physics).

No, we talk about computation done by universal number, through the Turing universal part of arithmetic.

Arithmetic is unchanging, nothing can be done in it;

The block universe is unchanging too. Time is an indexical in both arithmetic and some model of GR.

if you want to​ ​actually​ ​DO something and not just define something physics is needed.

You assume a physical universe, and I have explained this does not work if we are digitalizable machine.

> obviously, we cannot use them in any direct way, like we can do with a physical machine.
If mathematics is more fundamental than physics as you say

​ ​then ​it's about as far from obvious as you can get​ ​to understand ​​WHY we can't​ ​do​​ ​calculations directly but must​ ​instead ​get our hands dirty and ​​mess around with​ ​elements such as ​silicon.

The notion of computation does not assume silicon, nor QM or anything like that.

​> ​ you accept comp,
I do not accept "comp".

You do. You only don't accept that "computationalism" to be abbreviated by "comp".

> All your post illustrates that you are a sort of comp believer.
  None of my posts illustrates that

​ I am a "comp" believer.

> Comp is put for computationalism.

No it is not. Over the years I have heard you say hundred​s​​ maybe thousands​ of times "according to comp this and according to comp th​a​t",

Because that hs been proved, published, peer-reviewed, and accepted by any scientists doing the work needed. It is mock by philosophers and religious believers in the Aristotelian dogma, like yourself.

but I am ​still ​unable to form a coherent picture of what ​ you're talking about​​;​ but I have a ​very ​clear understanding of​ ​computationalism so I know that ​whatever "comp" is it certainly isn't computationalism.

Because you stop at step 3, without having been able to ever explain why (just rhetorical hand-waving).

​> ​That computations exist in arithmetic (even in the small sigma_1 complete part) is accepted by all experts And yet for some strange reason like you none of these experts have become filthy rich by starting a computer hardware company that doesn't need to manufacture hardware.

Same straw man as above.

​I find that very odd.​

> Of course. But once Turing defined calculation/computation​ [...]​
If definitions could make calculations INTEL

​would make definitions instead of silicon microchips because making definitions is ​one hell of a lot​ easier than making physical objects.

​> ​it has been proved that it exists in any model of arithmetic, a fortiori in the standard model.

​Proofs are no more adept than definitions at making calculations. ​

Sigma_1 proof are Turing universal. So a particular case of proving is provably equivalent to computing.

​> ​You need a physical reality only to implement a physical computation. But that is trivial,
Try telling the stockholders

​and​ scientists ​at INTEL it's trivial!

Straw man again.

>> if you want to know a particular solution to a particular problem in arithmetic because neither proofs nor theorems can make a calculation; for that you need physics.

> Yes, but it happens that we are not interested in having a solution, but only in their existence,
Then you're not interested in computations

​.​ ​T​here is no disputing matters of taste but I am interested in computations and so is INTEL.

No, you are interested in a particular (physical) implementation of the computations, but I have proved that if we are digital machine, or better digitalizable machines, locally, then we have to explain the appearance of the physical by the interference of the arithmetical computation. Of course we know that you have not read the proof, so I can only suggest you do. But the arithmeticalness of computations is not mine, it is already implicit in Gödel 1931 paper, and fully explicit in the work of Kleene and others.

Bruno

​ John K Clark​

> How could a universal Turing machine makes the difference between an implementation in arithmetic and an implementation in a physical reality?

"I compute therefore I am physical", or even more fundamentally "I am not static therefore I am physica l".

  John K Clark