> On 7/10/2015 6:06 pm, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

>> On 7/10/2015 3:58 pm, Jason Resch wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Bruce Kellett <
>> <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> They do affect you, because identical conscious states are, (by
>>> definition), indistinguishable from that point of view. So when you are
>>> experiencing a particular conscious state, and there are different paths,
>>> or future extensions of that conscious state, you can never be certain of
>>> which one will follow. Consider these various sequences of conscious states:
>>>
>>> H->N->J
>>> W->N->Q
> [...]
>> believe, in accordance with all the available evidence, that consciousness
>> supervenes on the physical brain. So states of the physical brain are
>> relevant to consciousness.
>>
>> What is a brain state? How long does it last? Is it an instantaneous
>>> snapshot? Or a Planck time, Or a femtosecond? Or what?
>>>

>> Like a CPU, a complex computation and computational state may require
>> many sub-computations to occur and accordingly occurs over a long period of
>> time (especially for a highly serial CPU). The computation of a conscious
>> state by a brain is spread out over time and space.
>>

>> Hence it is almost impossible to duplicate. Once the time scale
>> increases, environmental interference becomes increasingly important. And
>> you still haven't specified how you determine that two conscious states are
>> identical.
>>
>> Quantum mechanics is of little relevance here. The brain is hot, and
>>> quantum events decohere so rapidly that it is clear that any conscious
>>> processes in the brain are entirely classical. So quantum analogies are
>>> seriously misplaced. It is even more misguided to hang you theory of mind
>>> on a particular interpretation of quantum mechanics.
>>>

>> I don't. This is not QM explains the mind/consciousness. It's the
>> mind/consciousness explains QM.
>>

>> Bullshit. In spades.
>>
>> MWI is an interpretation of a theory, not a theory in its own right.
>>>

>> MWI is so far, the only theory of quantum mechanics, in so far as its the
>> only well-defined, mathematical and consistent account of quantum
>> mechanics. Collapse theories, say that the laws of QM are only obeyed some
>> of the time, and are unclear about those times it supposedly does not. As
>> such, they are incomplete half-baked ideas, not theories; they offer no
>> explanations about when QM's equations are or aren't followed.
>>

>> Bullshit, in double spades. You seem to think that QM is a *final
>> theory*. This is by no means clear. The best one can do is treat it as an
>> effective theory: it is a calculational tool that enables one to calculate
>> probabilities with remarkable precision. Beyond that, one cannot claim
>> anything.
>>
>> And why do MWI enthusiasts think that collapse theories are the only
>> alternative to many worlds? That is simply not the case -- there are many
>> other possibilities. Including my favourite, which is that QM is merely an
>> effective theory that is useful for calculating probabilities in the
>> quantum domain. Eschew ontological commitments!
>>

> So again, as it seems, you dislike metaphysical discussions, yet, you do
> that for months... you don't want to commit to anything, nor discuss
> ontology, fine, but please stop implying this is stupid or bullshit. Here
> we *don't* make ontological commitments, we discuss ontological
> possibilities... what we believe (or not) is our personnal choice.
>

> I called your ludicrous statements about quantum mechanics and its

That's not my statement, please check to whom you're to talking to and
replying.

> and I make no apology for that, because that is a precise characterization.

You should, as I'm not the one who made such statement...

> "Here we don't make ontological commitments.....". Pull the other one. Its
> got bells on it.
>
> So if your stance, is that we can't perceive any ontology beyond our
> theories, that they're merely tools and cannot give any insight at all
> about the true nature of reality, we're wasting time continuing discussing
> with you... because all you'll say is "bullshit" to anything (which is fine
> for you if you believe that, but useless in ontological discussion).
>
> As a philosopher friend was prone to say, epistemology precedes ontology.
> Until you understand your data processes, and the basis of your theorizing,
> you are in no position to make ontological claims. And often,
> instrumentalism is the best we can do, even if we would really like to get
> to grips with the 'ding an sich', sadly, that frequently eludes us.

So if you have the instrumentalism stance, and you agree with the shut up
... and calculate, Do just that, without forgetting the shut up part
then... thx

Quentin

> Bruce

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. (Roy
Batty/Rutger Hauer)