On 13/10/2015 11:43 pm, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    On 13/10/2015 11:00 pm, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
    <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>>:

        A computer made of silicon can emulate a Turing machine. A
        brain made of wetware can be emulated by a silicon computer,
        or a Turing machine. The fact that a Turing machine can be
        define mathematically is entirely secondary.

    The fact that a computer made of matter can  emulate a Turing
    machine is because we have a definition of a turing machine which
    is a mathematical concept... but if you reject the mathematical
    definition, I wonder how you can say that a "computer" emulate a
    turing machine... You should first define computation in terms of
    matter, and shows that the "mathematical" game is coincidentally
    like it.

    Who said I reject the mathematical definition of a Turing machine?

If you don't reject it, your explanation of computation is circular if you don't have a *definition* of what is a physical computation without using the mathematical definition.

I find it difficult to parse this 'sentence'. I am not obsessed with definitions. A calculation consists of taking an input and calculating an output according to some predefined rules. One can give a precise mathematical formulation of this process if one wishes, but such a formulation is not necessary for one to actually *do* the calculation.

    A computer emulates a Turing machine in the sense that the silicon
    based computer can do everything that an ideal Turing machine can
    do -- in fact, the modern computer on your desk is a perfect
    universal Turing machine. I don't have to *define* computation in
    terms of matter --

You do have to, for not to be circular.

Nothing circular here -- I not not obsessed with definitions. I just get on and do it.

    I simply have to compute the output from the given input.

    Also I wonder how you could justify with such theory the
    equivalence between two computations... if not by using
    abstract computation theory to justify it...
    Two computations are equivalent if they give the same answers.

    How do you justify it ? I can easily write an emulator of
    another machine and justify the correct functionning by logic
    alone, no matter involve... so if logic is just a game, and
    matter is the end point, algorithm *can't* be used as
    justification of the correct working.

    Who said matter was the end point?

    You... why do you insist on matter, if it is not primary and can
    be made of something else ?

    Who said matter was not primary?

Who said it was ? If it is not, then reality can be explained in terms of computations alone, and matter could be a product of computations... You dislike that idea, that somehow must mean matter is primary in your view... so IMO, you're saying matter is primary, don't you ?

I am not denying that, in all likelihood, matter is primary. I do not have any problems with that idea. In fact, it is a very productive position to take, and has led to all manner of useful results: none of which have been produced by computationalism. Matter is primary, and mathematics is simply a game played according to a set of rules developed from our experience of the physical world. The utility of mathematics is completely explained by the fact that it is based on physical experience. The utility of physics is explained in the same way.

    I can justify the equivalence of two computations by pointing to
    the fact that they give the same numerical output.

Then you say it only if you have achieved all possible outputs ? because you can't use mathematical induction to justify they will on the same domain.

A computation has one input and one output -- it is a mapping between the input and the output.

Yes so to prove them equivalent, you have to prove the mapping between input and output for all input... how do you achieve that without mathematical induction ?

I can use mathematical induction if that is found to be useful. I don't have to believe that mathematics is fundamental, or physics is derivative, in order to do that.

Bruce