On 13 Oct 2015, at 18:34, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 10/13/2015 2:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 13 Oct 2015, at 07:37, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Has computationalism predicted spin? Special relativity? Quantum field theory? General relativity?

Computationalism is used implicitly in the theory of evolution, in biology, and in physics once we abandon the collapse of the wave.

Except those sciences were well developed already using Newtonian physics and before anyone had even guessed at quantum mechanics. So I think you give to much credit to computationalism. I don't think there's been even one application of Godel's theorem, much less implicit reliance on it.

Newtonian physics is not a computationalist theory. It is based on analysis. But the application does not exploits this, and that has been considered as a defect of classical physics, although it is not when we assume comp.

The impact of Gödel's theorem has been huge, and its technics are used in computer science everyday. Another use is the understanding of our limitations, like when we say that Hilbert 10th problem is unsolvable. You remind me someone saying that the discovery of the irrational numbers changes nothing, because we never use real numbers. But that is false, we use them all the time. We just rarely use them individually with all their decimal, but we use the way they are related.

Non-computationalism is only a collection of incompatible, often vague, ideas. There is not yet any working theory.

Sure there is: If you change some process in the brain it will change the conscious experience of the person.

This usually assumes computationalism.

And there are lots of details to that theory as to how the changes happen and what the mechanism is. Which incidentally, computationalism contributed nothing.

It is used at least implicitly when evoking the existence of that mechanism. Diderot defined rationalism by computationalism: the belief in mechanical causes and explanation.

Then computationalism explains both consciousness and matter appearance already.

So does "God did it."  but both explanations explain too much.

Not at all. Why are you unfair? That is not your usual style. Comp provides a constructive derivation of physics, and the propositional physics (the propositional logic of observability, ad defined by UDA and its translation in arithmetic) is already extracted. And we get the difference between quanta and qualia, which was the goal.

Physics do not even try, it assumes them, and some identity link. It works well to make local prediction, but it fails on consciousness (when it does not eliminate it).

It doesn't fail. It just fails to meet your critereon to having an axiomatic explanation.

Not at all. It fails. When people reason correctly with mechanism and materialism, they do eliminate consciousness, and the step 8 explains why they have to. Physics just contradict the existence of the first person data. The error is already present in Aristotle Metaphysics.

But even quantum mechanics doesn't have an axiomatic basis - or rather it has several different ones; which is typical of physical theories.

Same with the theory of computations. The point is that physics does not address the first person perspective fully, even if you can consider that Galileo, Einstein and Everett made giant step in that direction. Comp extends this a lot.

Physics is not a science addressing those questions.

True, but computer science and neurophysiology are addressing them.

They adress the "easy problem", by using computationalism, but faiking to see that this eliminate matter. Or when some intuit this, they eliminate consciousness because they can't abandon their religious belief in something that is undetectable: primary matter.

Theology is the original science addressing those question,

Theology is the science of gods and man's relation to god.

Yes. And Plato is the first to understand that Truth plays the role of God, which means it has a transcendental roots, and can be intuited only through person experiences, called "mystical". Physics and mathematics is borned from that intution: reality is more than what we see.

and indeed computationalism explains why neoplatonist theology fit better the most obvious facts (existence of mind and matter appearance) than physics, when physics is seen as a theology (Aristotle idea).

It's really a slur to label physics "Aristotlean". Aristotle never did physics. He did arm chair theorizing which he could have immediately refuted by simple experiments which he never thought of doing. Thales and Anaximander and Aristarchus could much more reasonably considered physicist - but their influence was cut off by theology, by referring all mysteries to the action of gods.

Aristotle create physics, then his theories has been refuted, but that is how physics progressed. The cut off was not made by the original theology, but the one stolen by politics. You could as well says that science has proven that cannabis is a dangerous drug in need to be made illegal. But it is not science it is pseudo-science made by special interest. the same has occurred with theology, which is normal as the one controlling the most fundamental science got a lot of political powers.

You just seem to be not interested in "philosophy" of mind or theology, and at the same time you argue that physics is the only correct theology, but then give us what is your non- computationalist theory of mind.

That's a fair challenge. But it's usual in the early stages to the development of a science that one has many observations but only local effective theories and no over-arching scheme. Even in physics there is no over arching theory that includes quantum mechanics and general relativity; but that's not the same as having no theory of physics. There have been over arching theories, theologies, but they've never proven productive.

That is false. They have been productive. Read the book by Lambros Couloubaritsis.

Historically all the progress has been made by looking at the shadows on the cave wall and saying, "Let's see what we can figure out from them."

Exactly. The theological move is in believing that there is something we can figure out. Comp explains why that has a theological part, and that is what all people introspecting themselves can discover. Now, we know that this is true for all universal machine once they believe in enough induction axioms, and that this remains true for all their consistent extension.

Now, I have never defended the truth of computationalism. My point is just that computationalism is testable, and that the theology of the universal machine is testable, so we can test if Aristotle metaphysics is correct or not, and the preliminary results is that Plato is less wrong than Aristotle on this.