I realise I did not answer this post. As the step 7 is crucial, I will make some remark, and try to answer the question. Sorry for the delay Charles.

On 28 Aug 2016, at 00:38, Charles Goodwin wrote:

Hi everyone and everything, I was discussing comp and similar things with Liz the other day and we came across a sticking point in what I think (from memory) is step 7 of the UDA. Maybe you can help?

I'm assuming AR, "Yes, Doctor" and so on. At step 7 we reach the point where we assume that a physical Universal Dovetailer can be created

Actually, we don't need to assume that. It is a consequence of the fact that the physical universe is Turing-complete, like the existence of the physical implementation of the universal number (the general purpose computer) illustrates. So we can write the code of a Universal Dovetailer, and run it.

The infinite tape is not part of the universal Turing machine. It is his environment. A number u is universal with respect to an acceptable enumaration of partial computable function if phi_u(<x, y>) = phi_x(y). (<x, y> is coding of a couple of numbers into a number).

and that it runs forever,

Yes, that is the important assumption in step 7, and normally discharged in step 8.

and ask what is the probability that my observer moments are generated by it, rather than by my brain.

Well, this is simple to compute or evaluate intuitively in a mono- universe, there is no chance that your experience remains "out of the UD*".

With a multiverse, it is less easy, but there is also no chance, to remain in the level zero of the physical reality.

Now ISTM that the UD will have an infinite number of possible programmes to run, so even if it runs forever, how does it get on to the second step in any of them?

Now I remember why I did not answer, someone else did. And the answer was: that is why we have to dovetail, and run all programs little piece by little pieces.

All the best to you and Liz,