On 4/7/2017 5:12 PM, David Nyman wrote:

On 7 Apr 2017 11:53 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 4/7/2017 3:22 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

        As I remarked before, it is as if consciousness were concealed
        from the outside by a two-part public/private encryption
        scheme. Whereas the public part is in principle entirely
        extrinsically inspectable the decryption can be completed only
        in terms of the private perspective of *the system in
        question*. This then inevitably entails that decrypted
        messages of this kind must be inter-subjectively
        incommunicable despite the ultimate irony that they amount to
        the entirety of inter-subjectively "shareable" concrete
        reality. It is of course in this sense also that the brain is
        secondary to consciousness: i.e. that self-referential
        perceptual apprehension is the filter through which a concrete
        reality, with all its brains and bodies, is enabled in the
        first place to emerge (and I do mean emerge in a strong
        sense). That primary "grasp on reality" is what enables any
        subsequent abstract analysis in terms of a reductive "bottom
        up" physical mechanism playing the role of a
        locally-dominating computational mechanism (or IOW what you
        have termed the reversal of physics and machine psychology).

    But what, in the computations of the UD, is "perceptual
    apprehension"?  Bruno says that the physical world in not
    computed, the way some people speculate that "we are a
    simulation", but only thoughts are computed and the physical world
is inferred.

Yes of course, but it's that very "inference" in the first person perspective that unavoidably must present​ as perceptual apprehension before it can be abstracted to any other level of analysis. The point I've been making (which goodness knows is hardly novel in these discussions) is that the existence of self-reflexive computations

But that's the point I'm questioning. Bruno notes that an algorithmic machine can prove somethings about itself. But is this what we refer to as perception? I don't think so. Perception includes and inference or construction of the thing perceived. In case of a declarative sentence it may be a proposition about something, e.g. "There's no chair in this room." or "That sentence contradicts one of the axioms I assumed." But perception can be mistaken. Can proofs be mistaken?

is what permits the emulation of an internal or subjective logic in terms of which there can be precisely this direct apprehension (a term etymologically related to grasping) of a concrete perceptual reality. And the logical cost of any denial that such apprehension is veridical (as, at least at face value, in the case of Churchland or Dennett) must be the loss not only of such concrete perception in itself (and no, this conjunction of concrete and perceptual isn't a contradiction), but also the entire sense of any purported utterance that could otherwise be understood as referring to it.

So any instance of optical illusion entails the "logical cost" of "entire sense of any purported utterance that could otherwise be understood as referring to it." Hence it is impossible to describe an optical illusion, such as Escher's staircase which closes on itself but gives the illusion of always ascending counterclockwise and descending clockwise.

    I agree that the physical world is inferred from those perceptions
    that have point-of-view-invariance as my friend Vic Stenger called
    it.  But I don't see how a POVI subset of UD computations can just
    be picked out by some anthropic principle.  ISTM they must have
    some computed unity independent of conscious thoughts (which must
    be a subset of zero measure).

Yes indeed, but don't you have it backwards here? Surely it's rather that a POVI non-zero subset of reflexive UD computations is hypothesised to pick out a physical world in which it is itself embedded.

No. In fact the significance of symmetry laws was not understood as basic to physics until the 20th century. You may say they were hypothesized, but many such hypotheses turned out to be false. Finding the ones that are true is empirical and uncertain...not relations characteristic of mathematical proofs. So how are proofs good models of perceptions or beliefs, reflexive or otherwise?

That's implicit in the comp theory.

But I don't think comp theory is proven - so it cannot be cited in support of what is implicit in it. One of it's failings seems to be that there is far too much implicit in it.

And note that this physical world is in the first instance apprehended (perceived, grasped) as a concrete percept. Any other level of analysis can only ever be a secondary inference from this primary apprehension.

But that's not the neo-platonist way. Bruno assumes that "primary apprehension" is belief in arithmetic...not chairs.

And my point is that if, instead of this, you jump ahead to the point at which the "physical computation" is already independently

I didn't make any jump.

assumed (aka primitive) there​ can be no further a priori need for any hypothesis of subjectivity

That's exactly contrary to Bruno's claim that physics cannot explain subjectivity; so it would have to arise from some extra-material hypothesis.

or for that matter any concrete perceptual reality that might accompany it. A self-sustaining bottom-up-all-the-way-down

???

physical mechanism can have no principled rationale for such baroque supplementary hypotheses. Computation, by contrast, unavoidably implies precisely the contrary.

Computation implies the contrary of "a self-sustaining bottom-up-all-the-way-down physical mechanism can have no principled rationale"...which I parse as saying that ""a self-sustaining bottom-up-all-the-way-down physical mechanism can have a principled rationale" Is that what you meant?? Or are you saying computationalism implies the need for an hypothesis of subjectivity?? Bruno seems to claim that subjectivity is implicit in computationalism because some propositions about an axiomatic system can be proven within it. But that's no more proof of subjectivity than saying a physical system has a point-of-view.

Hence that is one of its chief recommendations for evaluation as a TOE.

Of course you are right that, in terms of the computational ontology assumed at the outset, this hypothesised subset must be evaluated independently​ of the conscious thought to which it is supposed to give rise.

Which is why I said that a computed world must include the computed physics which gives meaning to computed perceptions being "shared", i.e. POVI. But Bruno seemed to reject this.

Brent

And it is an open problem whether such a subset is indeed most plausibly encapsulated within the kind of consistent quantum-logical physical mechanism that we take to underlie our shared perceptual reality. This question of course lies at the heart of the whole enterprise. Its plausibility must be evaluated, amongst other considerations, with respect to computational relative measure in the face of the entire trace of the UD, the complexities of which I confess I am incompetent to assess.

David

    Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
    To post to this group, send email to
    everything-list@googlegroups.com
    Visit this group at
    https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list
    <https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list>.
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.