Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> > Not even Smullyan's "The Tao is Silent"?.

Religion requires dogma about the nature of reality, and Smullyan didn't
have any of that and neither does Taoism and neither do I. Instead Taoism
and Smullyan taught that that certain mental exercises can sometimes make
some people happier, and they are unlikely to make them unhappier. I think
that could very well be true. And Smullyan never said mystical experiences
couldn't happen but he did say talking about them is pointless. Iv'e never
had a mystical experience but if I ever do I intend to keep my mouth shut
about it. Perhaps by direct experience I have found something new about the
world but direct experience can not be communicated, although that hasn't
stopped self described mystics from writing millions of words of turgid
prose in a attempt to do just that. And there is another possibility,
perhaps I didn't have a mystical experience at all, maybe I just had
indigestion.

As Ebenezer Scrooge said to the ghost in A Christmas Carol:

“*You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of
cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave
about you*"

 > and I urge you to read the book by Daniel J. Cohen

Is that the book you recommended before, the book that can perform
calculations?

>>  a mind needs a brain.
>

> It needs an infinity of computations.

There is no evidence a mind needs a infinity of calculations, and we know
for a fact computers can only perform a finite number of calculations and
yet they are starting to behave as if they had a mind.

>The brain is only a local map of the locally accessible computational
> continuation.

If the brain is only the map and mind is the territory then changing the
map won't change the territory, but changing the brain *does* change the
mind. So something does not compute.

>> And a brain needs matter that obeys the laws of physics.
>

> This explanation becomes circular, if invoked in the course of solving
> the mind-body problem.

A mind needs calculations, calculations been a brain, a brain needs matter
that obeys the laws of physics, and matter that obeys the laws of physics
does NOT need a mind. What's circular about that?

> To use observation as a criterion of truth is the  "aristotelian act of
> faith".

Screw Aristotle, his contempt for observation stopped science from
advancing for 2000 years!

 > this simply stop to work (but you need to get quite beyond step 3 to
> appreciate this,

Step 3 of what? it's certainly not a proof, not only did it fail to prove
anything I don't think you had a clear vision of what you were even trying
to prove.

> The observation is quite important, and can make some theory quite
> unplausible, but it is not the criterion of truth, which for a platonist

Screw Plato.

 > I am not sure if your theory (in metaphysics) is testable.

Change the  brain and the mind changes. Change the mind and the brain
chances. It's testable and it passes the test. The mind body problem is no
deeper than the difference between "is" and "does". That is a race car,
what that does is go fast. That is a brain, what it does is mind.

 > you assume a physical universe.

I assume that "physical" means stuff that continues to exist even if nobody
believes in it. I am certain the moon exists even if nobody is looking at
it, but I am far less certain pi would exist if there were no intelligent
beings to think about it, and Turing's non-computable numbers (the vast
majority of the Real numbers) I find even more problematic.

John K Clark