On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> ​> ​
> You tell me you don't read book on theology,

​For over a decade I was required to read books on theology, I've probably
read more than you, and not one was worth a bucket of warm spit,​

>> ​> ​
>> If arithmetic  "works very well" why do physicists bother to d
>> ​o experiments

​> ​
> Because it is still infinitely more efficacious.

Then arithmetic doesn't work "very well" although I agree that to figure
out why a apple pie must exist arithmetic would take a INFINITE (at least)
number of calculations. But by itself arithmetic can't even calculate 2+2,
it needs a mind to do anything. And a mind needs a brain. And a brain needs
matter that obeys the laws of physics.

​> ​
> Keep in mind the goal: to solve the mind-body problem (in the
> computationalist frame).

​That's far too ambitious ​for now, first you've got to explain exactly
what the "
mind-body problem
​" is and what sort of answer would cause you to say "the mind body problem
is now solved". If somebody found that X caused mind would that satisfy you
or would you then ask "why does X cause mind?".​ Of course you would.

​>> ​
>> ​I think it would be closer to the truth to say the laws of logic assume
>> the laws of physics not the other way around.
>

> ​> ​
> This is non sense. "laws" assumes logic.

​And we like to make assumption that work. And what tells us if they work
or not? ​

​Observations of the physical world.​ And what determines the observations
of the physical world? The laws of physics.

​>> ​
>> If the laws of physics were different and whenever 2 rocks (or 2 of
>> anything) were brought to our attention and then 2 more rocks were brought
>> to our attention then a extra rock always popped into existence then the
>> laws of both logic and arithmetic that humans devised would be quite
>> different from what we have today. Everyone would say it's intuitively
>> obvious that 2+2=5.   ​
>

> You confuse
> ​ [...]

​Somebody who thinks God is a good synonym for arithmetic is in no position
to call anyone confused.

​> ​
>  like in your preceding post, logic and arithmetic.

​Like hell I do! If our logic said X and Y *never* made Z but we when
observe the physical world we see that X and Y *always* made Z people would
not say the physical world had made a mistake, instead we'd say our logic
must be wrong and we'd change it to something that worked.

> ​>> ​
>> ​
>> arithmetic
>> ​ can't derive the laws of physics nor can it derive a mind, it can't
>> even figure out how much 2+2 is without the help of matter that obeys the
>> laws of physics. ​
>>

> ​> ​
> In which theory
> ​ ,​
>  with what assumptions
> ​?

​What a remarkably silly thing to say! If I walk over that bridge​

​will it fall ​down? It depends on what theory you're using and what
assumptions you're thinking about. Dumb.

​> ​
> Then why use also the sense of the word given by those who have
> systematically banish or burn alive anyone doing personal research or
> harboring some doubts on some dogma.
> Why are (strong) atheists so much defending the God theory of those who
> imposed it by violence. Why continue the violence?

​Wow. Mindless rhetoric in hyperdrive I see. ​

 John K Clark

​

​