On 05 Apr 2017, at 00:33, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​God is omnipotent and you are confused as to why I should think such a beings should be able to convince me He exists if He really does!

​> ​I don't believe in such a God. I cannot make sense of omnipotence.

​If you insist on using common English words in non-standard ​ ways it's your own damn fault if you're constantly misunderstood!

I reassure you, I am constantly misunderstood only by people not reading what I write, or by fundamentalist strong atheists from some sect defending dogma.

I've never even met you and yet you've managed to convince me that you exist, but "God" whatever the hell you mean by word, is unable to convince me that He exist. Congratulations, you can do something "God" cannot.

Vague imprecise ​language does have one advantage, it masks vague imprecise​ thought.​

​​>> ​Google doesn't know what "​primary physical universe" means so I'm not sure what you're asking. I can think of 3 possibilities. 1) Do I think a mind can derive the laws of logic from the laws of physics?
Yes.

​> ​I guess you mean a person. OK. But this is trivial given that the physical laws, or at least their formulation assume some logic.

​Assumptions ​that have been experimentally confirmed. We've noted that 2 trees and 2 trees make 4 trees, and 2 rocks and 2 rocks make 4 rocks, and we use induction to assume that pattern will hold true for 2 of anything. So far that assumption looks pretty good, although some events at the quantum level might produce a little unease.

​>>​2) Do I think a mind can derive all the laws of physics we see and none of the laws of physics we don't see from nothing but the laws of logic?
Maybe, but probably not.

​> ​No. This is impossible.

​If you're right (and you probably are) then physics can tell us things about the world that logic and mathematics can not, and therefore physics is more fundamental. ​

That does not follow. You talk like if we could derive arithmetic from logic. But we can't. And with mechanism, we have to derive physics from arithmetic, not from logic. And it works very well until now.

​> ​3) Do I think a mind can be derived from nothing but the laws of logic?
No.

OK.

​So we have something else that physics can do but logic alone can not; naked logic can not make a mind but matter that obeys the laws of physics can. ​

​>> ​So you tell me, do I "believe in a primary physical universe"?

​> ​Only if you believe that it is possible to explain all sciences from the laws of physics.

​We both agree​ a mind can derive the laws of logic from the laws of physics.​

Yes, but trivially. The laws of physics, in fact any laws assume some logic(s).

We both agree​ a mind probably​ can​ not derive the laws of physics from the laws of of ​logic​.

Yes.

and we agree that naked logic can not make a mind but matter that obeys the laws of physics can.​ So if physics can't explain something what can?

Arithmetic, or anything Church-Turing Universal.

Yu seem to miss Gödel and the end of logicism. We just can't explain the numbers with pure logic. Arithmetic has to be assumed? Russell and whitehead thought they could, but there was a flaw, indeed found by Gödel.

Do you believe that physics is or could be the fundamental science?

If we both agree that physics can do things that mathematics can ​ not it should be obvious which is more fundamental.

Mathematics can do that, even just arithmetic. It is logic alone which can't. You confuse logic and mathematics.

​>> ​​There is an interesting quotation from Hugh Everett, the man who created the Many World's interpretation ​of Quantum Mechanics: "When ​a​​​ observer splits it is meaningless to ask which of the final observers corresponds to the initial one since each possess the total memory of the first​, ​ it is as foolish as asking which amoeba is the original after it splits into two​"​.

​> ​Can you give the reference?

​That quotation came from Everett's PhD thesis where he introduced the concept of Many Worlds, but was not in the version published in 1957. Originally Everett's thesis was 137 pages long but John Wheeler, Everett's thesis adviser, made him cut out about half ​of it including​ the entire chapter on​ information and probability which today many consider the best part of​ the work. Wheeler ​ also ​didn't like the word "split"​ and was especially uncomfortable with talk of conscious observers​ splitting​. Everett's complete thesis with no cuts was not published until 1973. ​

It comes from Zurek or Zeh I think. I read the long thesis of Everett many-times, and never found an allusion to amoeba. Or give the pages. Anyway, that quote is out of context and is ambiguous given that we never asked which one is the original. We ask this either about the 3- I, in which case the answer is simple and clear: both are. Or we ask this about the 1-I, or soul, consciousness, in which case the answer is that from their first person view, each one are but not both.

Bruno

 John K Clark