On 24 Apr 2017, at 01:10, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> ​Robinson​ showed that if you do certain activities in a certain sequence then you can produce correct mathematical calculations without producing any incorrect mathematical calculations. But without matter that obeys the laws of physics you can't "do" anything,

​> ​You beg the question​ ​.

​In physics things happen, interactions DO stuff, things come into physical existence that didn't exist before; but everything already exists in your non-physical Platonic sense so nothing can DO anything. The best definition of "nothing" I've ever heard of is infinite unbounded homogeneity, and that pretty well defines platonic reality too.

So you think that relativity theory is false? You disagree with "block- universe", or with Einstein when he said that "time is an illusion (albeit a persistent one)".

The universal dovetailing is everything but an unbounded homogeneity, and more so when viewed from inside by arithmetical creatures.

​> ​and just make an ontological commitment.

​Most of the posts on this list are about ontology one way or another.​

Yes, but we can't invoke them in the reasoning which explains why they cannot work, except for the reduction ad absurdo. It is like saying that the evolution theory explains a lot of things, but is obviously wrong as it fails to explain how god made it all in six days.

Bruno

 John K Clark     ​

and just make an ontological commitment.

that's why a book by itself can't perform a calculation or "do" anything else either, not even a book on Robinson Arithmetic.

No one ever asked a book to compute anything, but a book on Robinson Arithmetic, if you read it carefully, should help you to understand that the notion of computation is not a physical notion at all.

Bruno

John K Clark  ​

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.