On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 at 5:58 am, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Sat, Apr 22, 2017  Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com
    <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>>wrote:

            ​>> ​
            ​Suppose just for ​
            ​the sake ​of argument that non-physical computations did
            not exist, how would our physical world be different?
            There would be no difference. Therefore either
            non-physical computations
            ​ do not exist or they do but are utterly unimportant,
            rather like the ​l
            uminiferous aether
            ​.​

        ​> ​
        This is equivalent to supposing that mathematical Platonism is
        false.

    ​
    Not exactly. Einstein didn't prove the
    ​ ​
    luminiferous aether
    ​
    didn't exist in the Platonic sense, he just proved it was
    unimportant. I suppose you could say in the vague way that Greek
    philosophers love that correct mathematical calculations exist
    independently of matter, but the trouble is incorrect mathematical
    calculations exist too, and the only way to differentiate the
    correct from the incorrect is by using matter that obeys the laws
    of physics. And separating the stuff we want from the stuff we
    don't is important, that's why we say Michelangelo's huge statue
    of David is 500 years old and not far older even though in the
    platonic sense David was inside a gigantic block of Carrara marble
    ​
    for 100 million years and all
    ​
    Michelangelo
    ​
    did was unpack it, he just removed the parts of the block that
    weren't David.

But if the statue were conscious and it's consciousness not dependent on interaction with the outside world, it would still be conscious inside the marble block.

Any physical object could be viewed as implementing a computation as anything could be mapped onto of a Turing machine, but the "work" of the computation would then be not in the physical object but in the mapping, a Platonic object. The problem with this is that such an implementation cannot interact with its environment, so you cannot, as you say to Bruno, use it to make money hiring out your Platonic computer. But what if we consider conscious computation that does not interact with the environment of its implementation? Like the statue in the block of marble, it would still be conscious even if no-one outside could appreciate it or make money out of it.

I think this is specious. Even humans who, as in sensory deprivation tanks, have no interaction with their environment tend to "lose consciousness" in the sense of going into though loops. If a brain were truly, completely isolated from it's environment I think it very doubtful that it could remain conscious. And if, like David in the block, had never experienced an environment it would be hard to say what he could be conscious OF. The computation in our brains takes it's "meaning" from our interactions with the world.

The idea that computationalism implies that consciousness would occur independently of physical activity has been used as an argument against computationalism, on the grounds that it is self-evidently absurd. Hilary Putnam, originator of functionalism (of which computationalism is a subset), later realised this implication and changed his mind. John Searle and Tim Maudlin came to a similar conclusion.

But an alternative is, as Bruno suggests, to keep computationalism and accept that the apparent physical world is secondary, not primary. The physical computers sold by Dell or IBM, along with everything else, are made in a virtual reality running on a Platonic computer. While this may at first glance seem absurd, there is no reason I can think of why it cannot be true. And it has advantages in addition to preserving computationalism, such as eliminating the need to explain why there should be a physical universe at all.

But it doesn't eliminate the need to explain why there should be a physical universe - rather it speculates that the UD will necessarily produce not only thread of consciouness but also a physics for consciousness to relate to. But that's why I thing the "reversal" is a cheat. The physics is necessary to the consciousness - whatever is "primary".

Brent

    Bruno likes to talk about Robinson Arithmetic but as far as I can
    tell even Raphael
    ​
    Robinson
    ​ never claimed he had proven the existence of non-physical
    calculations, instead he showed that if you do certain activities
    in a certain sequence then you can produce correct mathematical
    calculations without producing any incorrect mathematical
    calculations. But without matter that obeys the laws of physics
    you can't "do" anything, that's why a book by itself can't perform
    a calculation or "do" anything else either, not even a book
    on Robinson Arithmetic.

    John K Clark  ​
    Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
    To post to this group, send email to
    everything-list@googlegroups.com

Stathis Papaioannou
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>.