On 26 Apr 2017 1:04 a.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 4/25/2017 10:19 AM, David Nyman wrote:

On 25 Apr 2017 5:15 a.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 4/24/2017 10:02 AM, David Nyman wrote:

On 24 Apr 2017 7:32 a.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

I don't think there's any question that non-physical things exist, like
chess and insurance and computations.  The question was whether the
assumption that computations can instantiate a mind, i.e. the possibility
of a conscious robot, entails a contradiction of something.  The
"something" having to do with physics, is part of what I would like
eulicidated.  Bruno says it reverses the relationship of physics and
psychology...but that's more of a polemic slogan than entailment of a
contradiction.

I don't think so. Here's the way I see it. Let's say we accept as a
hypothesis a computational ontology. Since this requires no more than the
natural numbers with +  and * this amounts to an ontology of arithmetic.
Platonism be damned, our interest at this point is merely in seeing where
the hypothesis can take us. So, computationalism leads us to the extension
of the UD, which in turn gives us the digital machine, aka the fully
fungible universal computational device. The reversal then is between role
of the "psychology" of that universal machine and the subset of the trace
of the UD assumed to implement physics.

The UD doesn't have a "psychology".  Bruno talks about the "beliefs" of a
universal theorem prover in arithmetic...but that's not a UD.   And was is
"the trace of the UD".  To talk of taking a "subset of the trace" sounds to
me like handing waving: We'll make a machine that writes all possible
sentences and then there's a subset that describes the world.

The former is now required to play the role of filter or selector on behalf
of the latter; it's what distinguishes​ it from the much more general
computational background. Of course that "filtration", by assumption,
essentially equates to the extremely high probability of that very subset
being required to support its own self-selection.

Are you saying this "subset of the trace" must have a high probability of
existing, or it has, by some measure, a high probability relative to other
stuff not in the trace.  If the latter, and if the measure can be defined,
that would be an interesting result; but when I've asked about this in the
past Bruno has just said it's a hoped for result.

I understand that Bruno wants to take thoughts as fundamental and the wants
to identify thoughts with provable or computable propositions in
arithmetic.  He thinks that the modality of "provable" is somehow a good
model of "believes" or "thinks".  But even if that were true (I don't think
it is) it fails to account for the physical world which one thinks about
and acts in.

IOW it's selection by observation, with the part of "universal point of
view" falling to the suitably programmed digital machine. It from bit
really, but without the prior commitment to physics as the unexplained (aka
primitive) assumption. OK?

You don't seem to have even mentioned a contradiction.

As far as the contradiction is concerned, I think you've found it for
yourself. You've said many times that the number 2 has no independent
existence but must depend on there being 2 things. IOW, you take the view
that numbers are inferred only secondarily from objects which, broadly, is
the intuitionist position on mathematics. Fine, if so for numbers, then
equally so for computation. If computation is at root an inference from the
relations between objects, and at the same time one holds that
consciousness supervenes on those inferred relations, then one has reasoned
oneself around in a circle, and not a virtuous one at that. Is it really
intelligible to say that your mind supervenes on a set of secondary
relations that are themselves nothing other than a product of its own
powers of inference?

But on that account they are not "nothing other than" - the are
*instantiated* computational relations.

Sorry, Brent, that doesn't help. AFAICT you're just dodging my point. Could
you respond in a way that isn't merely a verbal flourish?

David