On 26 Apr 2017 7:26 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 4/26/2017 12:32 AM, David Nyman wrote:

On 25 Apr 2017 11:07 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 4/25/2017 1:08 AM, David Nyman wrote:

On 25 Apr 2017 5:15 a.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 4/24/2017 10:02 AM, David Nyman wrote:

On 24 Apr 2017 7:32 a.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

I don't think there's any question that non-physical things exist, like
chess and insurance and computations.  The question was whether the
assumption that computations can instantiate a mind, i.e. the possibility
of a conscious robot, entails a contradiction of something.  The
"something" having to do with physics, is part of what I would like
eulicidated.  Bruno says it reverses the relationship of physics and
psychology...but that's more of a polemic slogan than entailment of a
contradiction.

I don't think so. Here's the way I see it. Let's say we accept as a
hypothesis a computational ontology. Since this requires no more than the
natural numbers with +  and * this amounts to an ontology of arithmetic.
Platonism be damned, our interest at this point is merely in seeing where
the hypothesis can take us. So, computationalism leads us to the extension
of the UD, which in turn gives us the digital machine, aka the fully
fungible universal computational device. The reversal then is between role
of the "psychology" of that universal machine and the subset of the trace
of the UD assumed to implement physics.

The UD doesn't have a "psychology".  Bruno talks about the "beliefs" of a
universal theorem prover in arithmetic...but that's not a UD.   And was is
"the trace of the UD".

Are you kidding? How long have we all been discussing all this?

  To talk of taking a "subset of the trace" sounds to me like handing
waving: We'll make a machine that writes all possible sentences and then
there's a subset that describes the world.

Ok, so now you know what it is. The point is just that comp is true then it
exists. If not it doesn't. We've been discussing the consequences of the
former case. If you still want to believe in the necessity of a physical
computer, we only have to accept that comp would be true in the presence of
any such computer capable of running the UD.

The former is now required to play the role of filter or selector on behalf
of the latter; it's what distinguishes​ it from the much more general
computational background. Of course that "filtration", by assumption,
essentially equates to the extremely high probability of that very subset
being required to support its own self-selection.

Are you saying this "subset of the trace" must have a high probability of
existing, or it has, by some measure, a high probability relative to other
stuff not in the trace.  If the latter, and if the measure can be defined,
that would be an interesting result; but when I've asked about this in the
past Bruno has just said it's a hoped for result.

I'm glad you agree it would be interesting.

I understand that Bruno wants to take thoughts as fundamental and the wants
to identify thoughts with provable or computable propositions in
arithmetic.  He thinks that the modality of "provable" is somehow a good
model of "believes" or "thinks".  But even if that were true (I don't think
it is) it fails to account for the physical world which one thinks about
and acts in.

IOW it's selection by observation, with the part of "universal point of
view" falling to the suitably programmed digital machine. It from bit
really, but without the prior commitment to physics as the unexplained (aka
primitive) assumption. OK?

You don't seem to have even mentioned a contradiction.

You didn't ask about the contradiction. You asked about the reversal. Are
you clearer on what is meant by that now? I'm not asking if you believe it,
just can we agree what is meant?

I did ask about the contradiction.  From above: "The question was whether
the assumption that computations can instantiate a mind, i.e. the
possibility of a conscious robot, entails a contradiction of something.
The "something" having to do with physics, is part of what I would like
eulicidated."  So, no I'm not clear what the reversal means.  It is claimed
to contradict the idea that matter is in some sense fundamental, e.g.
Democritus "Nothing exists except atoms and the void; all else is
opinion."  But in my view ontology is theory dependent, i.e. you find a
theory that works well as an explanation and a predictor and then that
theory provides an ontology: the POVI  (intersubjective observable)
elements of the theory.  So I'm not clear on what is the reversal.  The
function of bodies, including brains, is, we think, within the scope of
physics.  Is this "reversed"...to what exactly?

Ok, I see that this is an important misunderstanding. If physics is taken
to be the fundamental science, in the sense that a completed physics will
not demand further explanation, then consciousness will clearly have to be
explained entirely on the basis of that fundamental science. For example,
you yourself have said that you believe the controversy will be settled by
a completed neuroscience.

That's slightly different than what I said.   I pointed out that Newton's
theory of gravity did not explain gravity, and neither does Einstein's.
When we have a theory that is effective, i.e. makes only accurate and even
surprising predictions, when then think of it as "explaining" the
phenomena.  But this "explanation" is not at all like the explanation that
was sought before the instrumentally successful theory.  This is
exemplified in the case of Newton: people wanted an explanation of the the
gravitational force - not just a formula to calculate it - and Newton
answered, "Hyposthesi non fingo."

So my expectation is that cognitive science will go the same way.  When we
have learned to make AI robots to behave as conscious people behave, the
"hard problem of consciousness" will be seen to have been the wrong
question - like "What causes the force of gravity?"  Mystics will still
ponder it and it will still be controversial among metaphysicians.

By contrast, if comp is to be assumed in the fundamental role, then the
emergence of the universal machine will then *precede* that of physics.

I assume you mean "precede" in some explanatory, not temporal, sense.  But
I don't think explanations are necessarily hierarchical with a bottom; I
think they are better thought of as circular.  If they bottom out anywhere,
it is ostensively.

What Bruno is at pains to show is then that the machine possesses a "point
of view", aka its psychology, in terms of which physics will emerge as a
complex of inter-subjective appearances (just as you, Bruce and indeed
Bruno and I require). Note by the way that this immediately establishes in
principle the elusive interior/exterior distinction. It would also have to
be the case, if comp is indeed to succeed, that the computations
corresponding to those physical appearances would themselves typify
(massively) those supporting human level subjectivity. So in this way
sentient entities would "select" the very physical environments necessary
for their own existence.

But that seems to a chauvinistic view of the situtation.  One could as well
say the physical environment selected the creatures that can exist in it.
But whichever way you look at it, it doesn't look to me like a
contradiction between the computational theory of mind and physics.

I don't understand why we keep talking past each other like this. I'm
trying to keep the issues of contradiction and reversal distinct. Above, I
was talking about the reversal. It is, as you rightly say, a reversal of
explanatory priority and it can't be waved away into virtuous explanatory
circularity, because logically you need the notion of machine psychology
before "physical" computations can thereby be isolated from computations in
general. Then at that point (but not before) you're again right that one
can then equally say that the environment selects its sentient inhabitants.
We will have reached a point of virtuous explanatory equilibrium.

Of course the contradiction is also implied because this cannot be done on
the basis that physics is itself irreducible to computation, if the comp
theory of mind is to have any serious content whatsoever. I've already said
why I think the contradiction is obvious for anyone who takes the view that
computationalism is a secondary inference from physical objects. I haven't
yet seen an adequate argument from you in response.

David

Brent

Of course the foregoing is not proven but it's implied by comp and it
hasn't been disproved either. Anyway, in a nutshell, that's the reversal
(i.e of explanatory priority) between physics and machine psychology.

David