On 3 May 2017 10:47 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 5/3/2017 2:34 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

Le 3 mai 2017 11:23 PM, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> a écrit :

On 5/3/2017 1:32 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

This an extreme reductionist view, i.e. if X is the fundamental ontology
then only X exists.  But that leads to nonsense: "If the standard model is
fundamental ontology then football doesn't exist."

But it's true, football does not exist in any ontological sense, and we are
talking about ontology.

So neither Sherlock Holmes nor Donald Trump exist.  That's certainly a
relief.

What about ontology don't you understand?

I don't understand why atoms imply that things made of atoms don't exist.

Ok, this the heart and core of the disagreement. Noone is saying that
things made of atoms don't exist and your saying this is just setting up an
easy straw man for you to pointlessly knock down. So what do you suppose
that Quentin and I are saying here? I'll repeat it. "Extreme reductionism"
as you call it (and what other kind is there unless you believe in some
form of causally effective top-down emergence?) is the search for the
ontological building blocks of a theory which themselves will remain
unexplained but in terms of which all other ontological composition will be
understood. That at least is the ambition. So if we say that atoms are the
building blocks then the claim is that everything else is to be understood
as the interactions of atoms (this is meant to be illustrative only).

So what then is the status in the theory of "everything else" if such
entities are merely ontologically composite and consequently at that
fundamental level indistinguishable from the interactions​ of their
components? The answer (obviously) is that their "concrete" or substantial
emergence is perceptual, or epistemological as we like to say here. I
suspect the fact that some people find this so hard to accept is not some
intellectual barrier to understanding, since the distinction is in fact
rather obvious, but because of a distaste for taking epistemology as a
fundamental determinant of reality. Of course when we speak of epistemology
here it's not merely its final neurocognitive stages we should have in
mind, but the entire process of epistemological emergence of perceiving
subjects and their environments​ from the posited ontological basis. For
this of course we need an adequate theory that takes both aspects and in
particular their peculiar entanglement into account.  And indeed​ it is
only the ultimate explanatory success of such a theory that can justify the
ascription of "existence" to anything above the level of the ontological
base because, as you will recall, the whole point of the reductionist
thrust is that this base is capable of explaining the evolution of its
states entirely in its own terms, without any necessary reference to
composition or emergence.

I would esteem it a courtesy if you would address the above argument
directly, as distinct from changing the subject in line with your preferred
way of thinking, as I would truly like to know what you think is wrong with
it. As Bruno says, a different argument is not the same thing as a
counter-argument.

David