On 07 May 2017, at 02:16, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​You are the one using pronouns in the ambiguous way.​ ​Do you mean that "you" will see two cities

​John Clark agrees with Bruno Marchal that personal pronouns are ambiguous in a world that contains people duplicating machines because the referent will always be unclear, but for years John Clark has proposed is a very simple solution to this problem, just use proper nouns.

It clearly does not work, as your answer to my recent post, which did not use the pronouns, shows.

​​>> ​NO, I don't demand you predict anything, I'm asking for something that should be far far easier! The experiment ​is over and it is only now that I ask for the name of the one and only one city the Helsinki man ended up seeing .

​> ​So you ask a question which just does not make any sense.

​EXACTLY! PRECISELY! The question "what one and only one city will I see after I walk into that I duplication machine?" makes absolutely no senses. It's gibberish. ​

False. as the two copies will easily confirm. It makes no sense only because you eliminate the 1-3 distinction.

​>> ​If your concepts were correct and well thought out you could easily​ answer the question "what is the name of the one and only one city that I am looking at right now?" with one word, but you can't, you can't answer it before the experiment and you can't even answer it AFTER the experiment,

​> ​No, I can't because you ask me for one answer,​ ​where we know that there are two answers.

EXACTLY! PRECISELY!​ And those two answers are Moscow AND Washington.​

Ambiguous. Do you mean "Washington" for one copy and "Moscow" for the other, or do you mean that both will say "Moscow and Washington". If it is the first, you confirm my point. If you meant the later, it is nonsense.

But I'm not the one who said there was one and only one answer!

​> ​If there was only one answer, there would be no indeterminacy of course.

​True, and there is no ​indeterminacy ​if there are 2 answers either because the correct answer to both questions is known, Washington and Moscow.

Ambiguous. See above.

And it's even known who will see what, The Washington man will see Washington and the Moscow man will see Moscow. What more is there to know? ​

OK, that's correct, and confirms the necessary first person indeterminacy lived by the guy in Helsinki.

​>> ​Just a few paragraphs above in the same post you agreed that both are "I", and you agreed that both "I" are in two different cities, so to expect that a single name can answer the question "what city will I see?" is just silly, Mr. I will see both.

​> ​None will see both.

​And neither 1 nor 2 is 3, but 1+1 is 2. Mr. I is the summation of both ​because both remember being the Helsinki man.

You forget that the first person experiences are incompatible.

​​>> ​THE FIRST PERSON HELSINKI EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN DUPLICATED, and that's why both are the Helsinki "I" ​before the button ​was pressed as you agreed above.

​> ​But not through the eyes of one person.

​But there is no longer one person there are two persons, that's what it's call a person duplicating machine. ​Is it really a mystery I stopped reading at step 3?​

Not at all. You show how much irrational we need to be to do that. Thank you for making it publicly.

​> ​Yes, there are two answer, given that there are two incompatible experiences lived by each copy.

EXACTLY! PRECISELY!​ And those two answers are Moscow AND Washington.​

That gives only one answer for each resulting first person experiences, and so that makes the point when we answer the question asked in Helsinki.

​> ​"A" is lived as a "the" by each copy. using "A" xhanges nothing

​Well I'm glad you cleared that up.​

​​​>> ​after the duplication you can't point to a unique individual and say "he wrote the diary" ; and if you can't do that then it serves no purpose.

​> ​It serves very well its purpose if you keep in mind the question asked, which is on the personal experience,​ ​as lived by the personal experience.

​Whose personal ​experience? ​After the duplication no one unique individual can claim authorship of the diary so the book is nothing but a waste of perfectly good paper. ​

Both can, as the diary is duplicated to. That moves is only eliminating the first person experiences.

​>​>>​ ​You just eliminate the first person.
​ ​
​​>> ​There are two, so which "the first person" do you claim I've eliminated?​

​> ​How could I know? You are the one asking for a unique city

​I'm asking for a ​unique city​ because you claim there is one.

Yes, only one, for both copies.

You say "I" will see one and only one city so after the experiment is over it's not unreasonable to ask what that one unique city turned out to be. You admit such a question is ridiculous and I agree,

The question is not ridiculous. Indeed "W or M" is the best and provable answer (assuming Mechanism of course). But what is absurd is asking one specific answer. It ca,n only be "washington" or "Moscow", but both are refuted by one of the copies.

but exactly why is it ridiculous? Because the personal pronoun "I" is ambiguous if "I" duplicating machines are used. ​

​​>> ​Screw "advance"! Bruno's question "what city will I see?" can NEVER be answered because in the context of a person duplicating machine Bruno does not know what "I" means.

​> ​We know enough, given that the notion of first person used in this simple duplication context have been defined in a thoroughly transparent third person way, through the diary which is duplicated in two diaries.

​Well that was a awful lot of verbiage but it conforms with what I said, the question "what one and only one city did I end up seeing?" can NEVER be answered, not before the experiment and not after either. There must be a reason for that, and the reason is the personal pronoun in the question is ambiguous in world that contains personal pronoun duplicating machines.

​> ​Your answer to this has always been "the hell with the diary"

​After the duplication if you can point to one and only one person who wrote that diary then I'll stop saying ​"​to​ hell with the diary"​.​

I will no more answer this, as I have done it many times, but you just ignore the answer, and come nback mater with the same question/trick.

​> ​If asked to predict how many times they will see W, they need to use the Pascal triangle,

​That would be pointless because there is no way to tell if the pascal triangle, or anything else for that matter, had turned out to have made a correct prediction or not. ​

A simple counting argument shows this to be wrong. You are denying again the many first persons incompatible experiences that they all live. Thus, you eliminate the 1-3 distinction.

Bruno

​John K Clark​