On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 3:28:18 PM UTC+10, Brent wrote:

> Sorry.  Something funny with my verizon account.
>
> Brent
>
> On 5/30/2017 8:09 PM, Pierz Newton-John wrote:
> > Brent, are you replying from a mobile? I’m still receiving your replies,
> as others are, on my private email. That’s what happens to me when I try to
> reply using my iPhone. The "reply to all" button is missing. I’ll reply to
> your remarks on the list if you post it there...
> >

> >> On 31 May 2017, at 1:05 pm, Brent Meeker <meek...@verizon.net
> <javascript:>> wrote:

> very lucid and helpful - they also confirm my own understanding. IIRC, you
> weren't a particular fan of MWI when I last conversed with you on this
> list. I wonder if you'd care to comment on my original argument on this
> thread - which has of course now been swamped by the usual brawls. Does not
> a single history + the physical insignificance of the notion of a current
> moment mean that there is also only a single possible future?
> >> I don't see how that follows.  In the usual model of forking in the
> future direction every current moment has a single history, but multiple
> futures.

Multiple futures = MWI, surely. When I say a single history, I mean that
from the Big Bang forward, the universe only followed one branch.

> issue for single universe models of QM? How can the outcome of quantum
> events be both inevitable and random?
> >> Having a single future isn't the same as being determined.  A single
> future in which situation A is sometimes followed by B and sometimes by C
> is still random.

It depends on perspective. It's true that from 1p, it looks random. But
from 3p, it is static and always the same, and in this sense determined.
The question is, what determined (from the 3p view) that the universe
followed that particular path and not any of the others? My assumption here
is that "now" does not exist from the 3p POV and therefore the physical
structure (whether it branches or not) of the past and the future is the
same.