On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:24:38 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

> On 7/10/2018 6:50 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 4:42:44 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 7/10/2018 3:01 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> *IIRC, the above quote is also in the Wiki article. It's not a coherent
>> argument; not even an argument but an ASSERTION. Let's raise the level of
>> discourse. It says we always get a or b, no intermediate result when the
>> system is in a superposition of states A and B.. Nothing new here. Key
>> question: why does this imply the system is in states A and B
>> SIMULTANEOUSLY before the measurement? AG  *
>>

>> Because, in theory and in some cases in practice, there is a direct
>> measurement of the superposition state, call it C, such that you can
>> directly measure C and always get c,
>>

> *Is c an eigenvalue of some operator? How can you always get c, if C is
> not an eigenstate of some operator? And if it is an eigenstate, why do you
> assert it is a superposition? AG *
>

> You just don't get it.  c is the eigenvalue of C.  C is an eigenstate.

*Don't underestimate. Yes, if one gets c, c must be an eigenvalue of
operator C.  AG*

BUT it's also a superposition of A and B.  It's a simple fact of vector
> spaces that a vector can be the sum of other vectors.  The only thing
> tricky about QM is that it's in a complex vector space so the vectors get
> scaled by complex instead of real numbers.  And they are *simulataneously
> *the sum of other vectors.

*The complex scalar field is not a problem; not even tricky. But a
superposition does not necessarily mean the system is physically in both
component states simultaneously, even if someone writes the state as a sum.
That's what's assumed, without proof. Maybe I missed your proof or
argument. AG*