On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:28:51 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

> On 7/10/2018 7:04 PM, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 5:08:30 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 7/10/2018 3:30 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> *More and more, Dirac's claim seems to be an illusion that most everyone
>> has fallen in love with. Consider the example of a vector in a plane
>> decomposed as a superposition of unit vectors in some orthogonal basis, Not
>> an exact analogy to the quantum superposition of course, but worth thinking
>> about. How many decompositions are possible? Well, rotations of the
>> original orthogonal basis give an uncountable number of DIFFERENT
>> decompositions. In fact, the set of NON orthogonal pairs define another
>> uncountable set of bases, each of which results in a DIFFERENT
>> decomposition. So in this example, it makes no sense to say the original
>> vector is in two states simultaneously in some basis, when an uncountable
>> set of other bases exist, each with a different decomposition.  In the
>> quantum case, it is natural and convenient to restrict ourselves to the
>> basis in which the system is being measured. But even here, other bases
>> exist which allow other, different, decompositions of the system into
>> superpositions, sometimes countable, sometimes not, depending on the
>> system. *
>>

>> All true.  True of any vector space.  SO WHAT?
>>

> *The "SO WHAT?" is that since many superpositions exist, it makes little
> sense to single out one, even if it seems natural and convenient (say, in
> the basis being measured), and assert the system is in both component
> states simultanoeusly prior to measurement. AG *
>

> Where does Dirac say anything about singling out states.  His description
> is completely arbitrary and applies to any states.  Does it make little
> sense to single out North and East directions?  After all there are
> infinitely many other coordinate systems that could be used.

*Correct, but in his comment he's used the Up / Dn state of a SG experiment
as an example.  But if there are infinitely many other coordinate systems
-- which of course I am not disputing -- why assert any system described as
a superposition in any particular basis, is physically in any, or all of
the component states simultaneously? AG*