> [...]
>> does it mean? Prima facie, '1,000,000' is a singular terms, and 'prime
>> number' is a common noun. If the surface grammar of this sentence reflects
>> its logical form, and if 'there is' means 'there exists', then the sentence
>> entails that both the number 1,000,000 and a greater prime number exist. For
>> the realist-in-truth-value, this existence is objective, and so we are led
>> to realism-in-ontology. In sum, if one is a realist-in-truth-value, then
>> realism-in-ontology is the result of taking mathematical assertions at face
>> value."
>>
>> Other references that I have looked up, such as entries in the Stanford
>> Encyclopedia of Philosophy on "Realism" and "Platonism in the Philosophy of
>> Mathematics", say similar things. Though, of course, there are probably more
>> nuances in the understanding of mathematical realism than there are
>> philosophers of mathematics.
>>

>> Given the above references, I think it should be clear why I say "realism or
>> platonism", and refer to "an independently existing mathematical realm". In
>> Western philosophy at least, that is what realism in mathematics means --
>> although things might be different in Gallic philosophy.
>>
>> It seems that your idea of arithmetical (mathematical) realism is entirely
>> from classical logic and is, therefore, essentially a
>> 'realism-in-truth-value' understanding. It is interesting, in that case,
>> that you make no reference to mathematical objects. You claim that the truth
>> of propositions such as '2+2=4' is independent of the mind, language, and
>> conventions of arithmetic, as in the definition of 'realist-in-truth-value'
>> above. But you do not seem to go the additional step of saying that
>> mathematical objects, numbers and so on, are objects that actually exist
>> (which would be a form of platonism). If you want to reject platonism, and
>> the idea that mathematical concepts are objects that actually exist -- that
>> there is a mathematical realm of objects that exist independently of any
>> physical existence -- then I suppose you are entitled to any view that you
>> wish to hold. But you cannot claim that any such view is uniquely necessary.
>>
>> If you reject platonism, it is hard to see how you can make sense of claims
>> such as "All calculations exist in arithmetic", or that physics arises from
>> the statistics of computations in the universal dovetailer. Since I reject
>> all forms of arithmetical realism, particularly platonism, I do not think
>> that your arguments for 'comp' have any merit.
>>
>> However, the philosophy of mathematics is not an area in which I have had
>> any particular interest, so apart from rejecting mathematical realism and
>> platonism, I do not have any strong views about which of the many
>> alternatives on offer might be an acceptable philosophical attitude to
>> arithmetic.
>>
>> Bruce
>
> I don't see any problem in saying that "2+2=4" while denying that numbers

See my answer to Bruce. This means only I will not use contemporary logic. In
both predicate logic (classical, say) we have a rule which makes it possible to
derive Ex(x+2=4) from 2+2=4.

Changing the logic will hardly change the reality, or the consequence of
computationalism, although it could make some result less intelligible.

> ISTM analogous to saying "A unicorn has a single horn." without implying that
> unicorns exist.

Yes, but as the theory is given, you will be unable to derive the existence of
a unicorn. You will derive only the existence of a number believing in the
existence of a unicorn.

>   The truth that is maintained by mathematical proof is just a marker which
> is analytically preserved by the rules of inference.

Yes. It is only a machine’s belief.

> The fact that there are true but unprovable sentences in arithmetic

Unprovable is relative to a theory or machine, note.

> , in just a logical inference in meta-mathematics.

Which is embeddable in arithmetic. That is the whole point of Gödel
arithmétization of metamathematics.

> It's not something outside mathematics that is true

OK.

> in the sense that ice is cold.

That is also a belief by some machine, and it might be recovered in their
phenomenology, in arithmetic.

We cannot discuss in the abstract. Doing metaphysics with the scientific method
as for theory and means of verifying empirically the theory.

The mechanist theory predicts both matter and consciousness. Materialist theory
assume matter, with some magical attribute, and miss consciousness. So …

Bruno