On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:28:21 PM UTC+2, Philip Thrift wrote:

>       "reality contains all mathematical objects"
>

> Ironically, Tegmark doesn't believe that at all. He says infinite
> mathematical entities are "ruining physics".
> -
> http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/02/20/infinity-ruining-physics/
>

> The only thing to conclude is that Mad Max published his mathematical
> universe hypothesis as a joke!
> - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

Already in his Mathematical Universe paper on arxiv, Tegmark discussed a
restricted version of MUH called CUH (computable universe hypothesis). He
mentioned that the attractive feature of CUH would be the disappearance of
the measure problem and also the exclusion of structures of which we may
never know whether they are consistent (due to Godel's second
incompleteness theorem) and thus whether they exist. On the other hand, the
fact that we cannot calculate probabilities (the measure problem) or find
whether a structure is consistent seems like an epistemic problem, not an
ontological one. The infinities may exist in reality, we just can't extract
useful statistics from them or confirm their existence. But reality doesn't
depend on whether we find it useful or whether we can confirm its existence.

The universe in which we live, or even the inflationary multiverse, may be
a finite/computable structure but there may also be infinite structures in
the larger mathematical multiverse.