On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 11:13:17 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 1:30 PM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > *More formally, a **Zeno machine is a Turing machine that....*
>

> The rules of Zeno's machine never change so if its a Turing Machine it's
> must be a one state Turing Machine, the very simplest type. But there are
> only 64 different one state Turing Machines and none of them are Zeno's
> machine. So it's not a Turing Machine, Zeno's machine is just not powerful
> enough to be even the simplest type of Turing Machine.
>
> John K Clark

A Zeno Machine (ZM) - or Accelerated Turing Machine (ATM) - can solve the
Turing Machine (TM)* halting problem*:

>From  https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~cristian/talks/selected/BeamerATM.pdf

An accelerated Turing machine (sometimes called *Zeno machine*) is a Turing
machine that takes 2^−n units of time (say seconds) to perform its nth
step; we assume that steps are in some sense identical except for the time
taken for their execution.

The following ATM can solve the halting problem of an arbitrarily given TM
T and input w in finite time:

begin program
write 0 on the first position of the output tape;
set i = 1;
begin loop
simulate the first i steps of T on w;
if T(w) has halted, then write 1 on the