On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:33:31 PM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 6:15:50 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 11/1/2018 4:02 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 4:02:56 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

>>> Of course logics are fiction too. (They're just languages after all.)
>>>

>>> OK.  Sentences written down are physical and not fictions.  But can they
>>> be contradictory?  How does "This page is red." contradict "This page is
>>> blue." unless they have some meaning as propositions.  But this must be a
>>> relation between a proposition (an abstract thing) and a fact (the color of
>>> this page).
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>

>> Sentences, like this one, are physical *only* in the sense that they are
>> (in this case) made up of electronic bits displayed on a screen (as you are
>> looking at right now, maybe on a laptop or smartphone) - or they could be
>> made up of ink strokes on paper, etc.
>>

>> One can't read anything more into them physically that that. What one
>> reads out of them (a person looking at this sentence, or a computer
>> scanning one) is a difference matter.
>>
>> There are no abstractions in an immaterial sense.
>>

>> But there are abstractions in the sense that the same proposition is
>> instantiated in different substrates.   So the contradiction can be between
>> different instances, e.g. a spoken sentence can contradict a written one.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> "the same proposition is instantiated in different substrates"
>

> Those are in reality different propositions (sentences) materially because
> they are made up of different particles in difference locations.
>
> There is no "proposition" existing in a Platonic realm that appears here
> on Earth in different "fleshes".
>
> We group all these material proposition particulars together, but only
> pragmatically, and call this grouping "a proposition".
>
> - pt

I remembered the case of the

*Intentionally blank page *[Wikipedia]

"Sometimes, these pages carry a notice such as "This page [is]
intentionally left blank." Such notices typically appear in printed works,
such as legal documents, manuals, and exam papers, in which the reader
might otherwise suspect that the blank pages are due to a printing error
and where missing pages might have serious consequences."

So if one sees a page in a book or document with only *This page
intentionally left blank* printed in the middle of it, one might say "But
it's not blank! I see *This page intentionally left blank *printed on it!
My eyes don't lie!"

- pt