On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 12:31:13 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 3:14 PM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> From  https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~cristian/talks/selected/BeamerATM.pdf
>>
>> *> An accelerated Turing machine (sometimes called Zeno machine) is a
>> Turing machine that takes 2^−n units of time (say seconds) to perform its
>> nth step; we assume that steps are in some sense identical except for the
>> time taken for their execution.*
>>

> You can assume anything you like and you can define a dragon as a fire
> breathing flying reptile if you like, but definitions don't cause something
> to suddenly come into existence.
>
> > *The following ATM can solve the halting problem of an arbitrarily
>> given TM T and input w in finite time: *
>>

> The creator of this ATM made a crucial assumption namely "we assume that
> steps are in some sense identical except for the time taken for their
> execution". To me that is equivalent to saying at the end of step 3 in a
> mathematical proof just before going to step 4 "at this point we assume a
> miracle occurs". But there is a even more fundamental problem,  solving the
> Halting Problem is logically contradictory.
>
> If the ATM can solve the Halting problem then if I feed in any problem it
> can tell me if it halts or not. Let's say the ATM has 2 slots for input and
> one slot for output, if I feed in the circuit logic design blueprints of
> any computer into one slot the ATM can simulate that computer, and if I
> feed in  program data into the other slot that ATM  will output either
> "Halt" meaning the simulated machine operating on that data will stop or
> the ATM will output "not halt" meaning  the simulated machine operating
> on that data will not stop.
>
> I will now make a new machine called X, it has 3 parts to it. The first
> part of X  is just a Xerox copy machine, feed in one program and it outputs
> 2 identical programs. The second part of X is the ATM and it receives the 2
> programs as input from the Xerox machine's outputs, and the ATM then
> outputs either "halt" or "not halt". The third and last part of X is a very
> simple machine called the negator, it receives as input the output of the
> ATM and if the input to the negator is "Halt" the negator will go into a
> infinite loop and if the input is "not halt" the negator will print "halt"
> and then stop.
>
> Now lets draw the blueprint circuit design of the entire X machine that
> fully defines it, then make 2 copies of it and feed it into the ATM; so the
> ATM is now trying to figure out if the X machine will halt if it is fed its
> own blueprint as data. If the ATM says "halt" the X machine will not halt
> and the ATM was wrong.  If the ATM says "not halt" the X machine will
> halt and the ATM was wrong again.
>
> Therefore the ATM can not logically exist.
>
> John K Clark

Zeno machines are just infinite-time Turing machines whose theory has been
developed by @JDHamkins <https://twitter.com/JDHamkins> and others.

http://jdh.hamkins.org/ittms/

*The Power of Infinite Time Machines How powerful are these machines? *

*Perhaps the first thing to notice is that the halting problem for Turing
machines is infinite time decidable. This is true because with an infinite
time Turing machine one can simulate an ordinary Turing machine
computation. Either the simulation halts in finitely many steps, or else
after ω many steps the machine reaches the limit state, and so by giving
the output Yes or No, respectively, in these two situations, the halting
problem is solved. Thus infinite time Turing machines are more powerful
than ordinary Turing machines: they can decide sets which are undecidable
by Turing machines. The next theorem greatly improves on this.*

Theorem 2.1 The truth of any arithmetic statement is infinite time
decidable.

All of this is standard in computability theory: There are levels of Turing
machines starting at level 0 where a TM at level n+1 solves the haling
problem of level n.

How  "real" you think this is depends on whether you are a *Platonist *or a*
fictionalist*. For it to be "real" in the natural world would require a
physical hypercomputaional substrate, like a hypothetical black hole
(relativistic) computer.

- pt