On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 10:27:00 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2018, at 18:50, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 4:32:53 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 24 Nov 2018, at 17:27, John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Turing explained how matter can behave intelligently,
>>

>> No. He showed how a person can be attached to a computation, and also
>> that physics is Turing complete, so that we can use matter to implement
>> computations, like nature plausibly does. But it is not matter which behave
>> intelligently: it is the person associated to the computation, and it
>> behaves as well relatively to numbers than to matter. You use of matter is
>> “magical”.
>>

> If humans are matter (meaning of course that human brains are matter),
> then *humans behave intelligently* means that (at least some) *matter
> behaves intelligently*.
>

> Like with a computer: some arrangement of some matter can emulate a
> (universal) computation. That means that the physical laws are Turing
> complete.
>
> It does not mean that primary matter exists (see my reminding of what this
> means in my answer to Brent, soon enough!).
>

> It is not clear that Turing in his last ("morphogenesis") years thought
> that the Turing machine was a complete definition of computing in nature.
>

> If mechanism is true, in principle, nature has more powerful processing
> ability than any computer. Now, it could mean only that nature use a random
> oracle, which would come only from our ignorance about which computations
> run us, if I may say.
>
> Bruno

Going by something Barry Cooper wrote

*The intuition is that computational unconventionality certainly entails
higher-type computation, with a correspondingly enhanced respect for
embodied information. There is some understanding of the algorithmic
content of descriptions. But so far we have merely scratched the surface.*

"natural computing" may involve something that is non-Turing in a sense
that doesn't involve actual oracles in the hyperarithmetical processing
sense (but could involve topology: *We can say that topology is precisely
about the relation between finiteness and infiniteness that is relevant to
computation.* [
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~mhe/papers/introduction-to-higher-order-computation-NLS-2017.pdf

]).

I posit that *experience processing* is a "natural computing" that is
non-Turing.

This new article may be of interest:

"there are now many signs that consciousness-like phenomena might exist not
just among humans or even great apes – but that insects might have them,
too"
] https://aeon.co/essays/inside-the-mind-of-a-bee-is-a-hive-of-sensory-activity
]

- pt