On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 5:26:14 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2018, at 20:24, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 27 Nov 2018, at 20:21, Brent Meeker <meek...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>> What is this "primary matter" of which you speak?
>>

>> X is Primary means basically that we have to assume X (or something
>> judged enough equivalent).
>>
>> The idea of primary matter is the (physicalist) idea that we have to
>> assume a bit of physics, to get the physical law. It is used by people who
>> dislike the idea that matter might be explained without assuming anything
>> physical.
>>

> My understanding of "primary matter" is that it is what matter (hyle) is
> before it meets form, hence *hylomorphism *[
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hylomorphism ].
>
> Thomas Aquinas thought (from what I've read) that matter is that which
> gives forms individual instances, or "character", like individual trees, or
> people, etc.
>

> That is the usual Aristotelian explanation. It is inconsistent with the
> assumption of digital mechanism.
>

>> molecules?
>>

>> Assuming contemporary chemistry, molecules are explained by quarks and
>> electrons, and quantum mechanics.
>>

> Why are there so many articles today that claim to refute this?
>

> Read them, and if one convince you, you can explain it here. Note that the
> background of those paper are Aristotelian, where Mechanism enforces the
> platonic view (if only to define properly what is a computation or machine).
>
> Bruno

The papers in scientific publications (in recent science news, etc.) mainly
involve positing *downward causation*: There are chemical laws that cannot
be reduced to physical laws, and these (higher-level chemical) laws are
needed to explain currently "unsolved" problems in chemistry and
biochemistry.

- pt