Uh oh, looks like the “giant atom” idea might not work either. I had been under
the assumption that dark energy would cause two orbiting bodies to spiral
apart. But on second thought, it seems like what would actually happen is that
an orbit affected by dark energy would still be stable, it would just have a
longer period than it would have had in the absence of dark energy. Thus it
wouldn’t gain gravitational potential energy over time.

It looks like the best hope now might be for a breakthrough or paradigm shift
in cosmology and/or physics. For instance, if something like Jamie Farnes’ dark
fluid theory turns out to be true (in which dark energy and dark matter are
both the same, negative-mass object). Alternatively, it might be possible to
survive a trip through a rotating black hole into another universe, and when
that universe’s usable energy is exhausted, just repeat the process ad
infinitum. (There’s a lot we don’t know about black holes).