On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 8:43 AM Mason Green <masonlgr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

* > It looks like the best hope now might be for a breakthrough or paradigm
> shift in cosmology and/or physics. *

This is certainly no breakthrough but suppose you had a rod and some beads
with holes in them, you thread the beads on the rod and then put some glue
or something on the rod to make it slightly sticky. The chemical bonds in
the rod would keep the atoms in it from getting further apart but the beads
would be free to slide along it, but because the rod was sticky the sliding
would generate heat from friction, and you could run a heat engine with
that and get work out of it. As we got closer to the Big Rip the rod would
get shorter because Dark Energy would start to tare it apart, but that's OK
because even though the rod is shorter the acceleration is greater so the
heat production would (perhaps) be constant.

By the way I got the sticky bead idea from Richard Feynman who used it to
show that Gravitational Waves have energy.

 John K Clark