> On 18 Apr 2019, at 19:56, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 4/18/2019 3:17 AM, 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List wrote:
>> What does "self model" even mean ? Notice that any material attempt to
>> implement "self model" leads to infinite regress.
>
> No.  A "model" is not a complete description, it's a representation of some
> specific aspects.

Well, indeed. But that is the sense of “model” when used in physics. In logic,
the model is the reality that we are doing the theory about.

We should avoid the term “model” and talk only on “theory” and reality”, or we
will risk to bring confusion.

The theory is the (usually incomplete) representation, like a painting. The
model/reality is what is supposed to being represented.

For example; the theory of arithmetic is

0 ≠ s(x)
s(x) = s(y) -> x = y
x = 0 v Ey(x = s(y))
x+0 = x
x+s(y) = s(x+y)
x*0=0
x*s(y)=(x*y)+x

But the arithmetical reality is the highly non computable and non axiomatisable
mathematical structure involving the infinite set N, with 0, +, * and s
admitting the standard interpretation we are familiar with.

> Your "self-reference" cannot refer to everything about yourself...which
> according to you is a stream of consciousness.

Yes.

> Brent
>
>> Because let's say that a machine has the parts A B C. To have a "self model"
>> would mean to have another part (A B C) which would contain the "self
>> model". But this would be an extra part of the "self" which would be needed
>> to be included in the "self model" in order to actually have a "self model",
>> so you would need another part (A B C (A B C)). But then again you would
>> need to include this part as well in the "self model". So you will get to
>> infinite regress.

I missed this (from Cosmin). Of course that is Driesch “proofs” that Descartes
will never solve its self-reproduction problem, but that has been solved by the
second theorem recursion of Kleene (or just Gödel self-referential sentence
construction). Self-reference here is just obtained by the syntactical
recursion:

If Dx gives x’x’, then D’D’ gives ‘D’D’’.

See my paper “Amoeba, Planaria and Dreaming machine” for more on this. I have
used the recursion theorem to program a “planaria”. A program that you can cut
in pieces, and each pieces regenerate the whole program, with its original
functionality back.

Bruno