Premise-wise, Consciousness could indeed be algorithmic, and thus emergent. In
other words baked-in. View this video link and despair puny humans!
https://openai.com/blog/emergent-tool-use/

-----Original Message-----
From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Sep 17, 2019 3:55 pm
Subject: Re: Why Consciousness Cannot Be Algorithmic

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 9:10 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>I think the guy is a bit of an idiot. He starts off badly by equating
>>intelligence and consciousness and then it gets worse when he  defines the
>>personal pronoun "I" by what will happen in the future rather than what
>>actually happened in the past. And that was all in the first paragraph, I
>>didn't read any further.

> But “I” is used in statement concerning the future, or you could not say “I
> didn’t read any further”.

"Did" is the PAST tense form of "do". However personal pronouns are perfectly
fine and everybody uses them a thousand times a day, so it would be OK to say
"I will not read him in the future" UNLESS:
1) The statement was NOT made in our everyday world where personal pronoun
duplicating machines don't exist yet, or...
2) The personal pronoun was used in a thought experiment that was trying to
illustrate a point about existentialism and the fundamental nature of personal
identity.
 John K Clark--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1uoHkY%2BxUOh%3DkgMHgfw5GPoWQZwL67CDsTD1-WCZS1fg%40mail.gmail.com.