> On 17 Sep 2019, at 22:23, spudboy100 via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Premise-wise, Consciousness could indeed be algorithmic, and thus emergent.
> In other words baked-in.
> View this video link and despair puny humans!
> https://openai.com/blog/emergent-tool-use/
> <https://openai.com/blog/emergent-tool-use/>

Consciousness cannot be algorithmic if Mechanism is true, because it relies on
the notion of truth, which is not just not algorithmic, but is not even
definable.

Consciousness is related to the semantic of some program observing itself, and
no program can defined its own semantic once he has enough arithmetical belief.

Sometimes “mechanism” is described as a theory in which consciousness is
algorithmic, and that is OK for an oversimplified description of mechanism, but
at some point we have to be more precise to avoid contradictions and some
nonsense.

Most attribute of a program are not algorithmic.

A program can compute the factorial function. That is algorithmic. But the
attribute “being a program computing the factorial function” is not algorithmic.

A total (everywhere defined) program is an algorithm, which stops on all
inputs. But being a program computing a total function, or emulating total
program is NOT algorithmic at all. It is Pi_2-complete, which is far beyond
what is emulable or definable by the partial computable function which does not
leave the sigma_1 reality.

In practice, that is not important, but it is crucial for handling the
mind-body problem when we assume mechanism.

Bruno