On 10/3/2019 11:49 PM, smitra wrote:
On 04-10-2019 00:51, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:24 AM Lawrence Crowell
<goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com> wrote:

This really is a well enough explained question.

LC

Energy conservation is not violated because to correctly sum up
the total energy, you have to weigh the energy in each branch with
the probability of that branch. This works the way it always works
in quantum mechanics. There is nothing new going on here, nothing
controversial, and nothing interesting.

http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-trouble-with-many-worlds.html?showComment=1569889923590#c1373154727748966620

The trouble I see with the explanation Sabine gives, which is probably
the most common response to this question, is that it dilutes the
energy in each branch according to the Born weight. Given that there a
zillions of branchings per second throughout the visible universe, the
energy rapidly is weighted away to zero in all branches. This does not
make much sense. Besides, that is not what one does in ordinary
quantum mechanics -- I have no idea what Sabine is referring to here.

The only solution for MWI, it seems to me, is that the energy is
simply conserved in each branch, and not conserved over branching
interactions. How would you ever test this, anyway? Block universe
ideas do not actually help here. And appeals to energy non
conservation in non-stationary universes are beside the point --
Quantum mechanics is not GR.

The block universe point of view makes this a non-issue. You get into trouble by assuming something like presentalism, like a hidden assumption about the energy of one instant being transferred to the next instant.

But that's what energy conservation is.

If you drop this assumption and simply take thew block universe point of view where all the instances already exist out there, then there is no problem to begin with.

Do all the branches then exist equally?  in which case you've abandoned energy conservation and now you need to explain why it appears to be conserved on every branch.

Brent

Saibal