On 10/8/2019 12:10 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:13 AM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com <mailto:goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 4:21:27 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

        As far as I know dispite lots of talk about it I'm STILL the
        only one on the list that has actually read Carroll's new
        book, but he gave an excellent Google talk about it on Friday
        so maybe his critics will at least watch that; after all even
        an abbreviated Cliff Notes knowledge of a book is better than
        no knowledge at all.

        Sean Carroll's Google talk about his new book "Something
        Deeply Hidden"
        <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FR08VylO4&t=1314s>

        John K Clark

    I have read Carroll and Sebens' paper on this, which is more
    rigorous and less qualitative. I honestly do not have a yay or nay
    opinion on this. It is something to store away in the mental
    toolbox. Quantum interpretations are to my thinking unprovable
    theoretically and not falsifiable empirically.

I watched a little of Sean's talk at Google. It is a very slick marketing exercise -- reminded me of a con man, or a snake oil salesman. Too slick by half.

What do you think he's selling?  I think Carroll is a good speaker, a good popularizer, and a nice guy.  I feel fortunate to have him representing physics to the public.  He is not evangelizing for some particular interpretation and he recognizes that there are alternative interpretations of QM even though he favors MWI.

Also, he's the only scientist who debated William Lane Craig and won by every measure.