On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 2:58:04 PM UTC-5, Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:40:33 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 10/8/2019 11:21 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 12:35:25 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
>>>

>>> On 10/8/2019 12:10 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

>>> I watched a little of Sean's talk at Google. It is a very slick
>>> marketing exercise -- reminded me of a con man, or a snake oil salesman.
>>> Too slick by half.
>>>

>>> What do you think he's selling?  I think Carroll is a good speaker, a
>>> good popularizer, and a nice guy.  I feel fortunate to have him
>>> representing physics to the public.  He is not evangelizing for some
>>> particular interpretation and he recognizes that there are alternative
>>> interpretations of QM even though he favors MWI.
>>>
>>> Also, he's the only scientist who debated William Lane Craig and won by
>>> every measure.
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>

>> Sean Carroll reminds me more of Alvin Plantinga
>>
>>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Plantinga
>>
>> who can take math and pull out God.
>>
>> Carroll makes* the big mistake* of a number of physics "popularizers"
>> today. He takes the mathematical language of a physical theory (or one
>> version* of that theory, as there are multiple formulations of quantum
>> theory) and pulls a physical ontology out of his math.
>>

>> That's why it's called an "interpretation".  Every physical theory has an
>> ontology that goes with it's mathematics, otherwise you don't know how to
>> apply the mathematics.
>>

> What is "an ontology"? Seems to me this is a red herring; no way to find
> evidence that something is real, as opposed to illusionary, unless you
> apply Vic's claim; it's "real" if it kicks back! Does S's equation kick
> back? Depends on who you talk to, unlike EM waves. Real or not, S's
> equation can be used for calculatons. Doesn't matter what its ontological
> status is. AG

That's it right there.

the Schrödinger equation does not directly say *what**, exactly, the wave
function is  [Wikipedia: *Schrödinger_equation]

I haven't seen yet where MWI serves any useful purpose.

At least path integrals are used in applications. (But not many worlds.)

@phiipthrift

That MWI entails other, unobservable "worlds" is neither a bug or a