On 10/8/2019 11:21 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 12:35:25 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 10/8/2019 12:10 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
    On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:13 AM Lawrence Crowell
    <goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

        On Monday, October 7, 2019 at 4:21:27 PM UTC-5, John Clark
        wrote:

            As far as I know dispite lots of talk about it I'm STILL
            the only one on the list that has actually read Carroll's
            new book, but he gave an excellent Google talk about it
            on Friday so maybe his critics will at least watch that;
            after all even an abbreviated Cliff Notes knowledge of a
            book is better than no knowledge at all.

            Sean Carroll's Google talk about his new book "Something
            Deeply Hidden"
            <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FR08VylO4&t=1314s>

            John K Clark

        I have read Carroll and Sebens' paper on this, which is more
        rigorous and less qualitative. I honestly do not have a yay
        or nay opinion on this. It is something to store away in the
        mental toolbox. Quantum interpretations are to my thinking
        unprovable theoretically and not falsifiable empirically.

    I watched a little of Sean's talk at Google. It is a very slick
    marketing exercise -- reminded me of a con man, or a snake oil
    salesman. Too slick by half.

    What do you think he's selling?  I think Carroll is a good
    speaker, a good popularizer, and a nice guy.  I feel fortunate to
    have him representing physics to the public. He is not
    evangelizing for some particular interpretation and he recognizes
    that there are alternative interpretations of QM even though he
    favors MWI.

    Also, he's the only scientist who debated William Lane Craig and
    won by every measure.

    Brent

Sean Carroll reminds me more of Alvin Plantinga

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Plantinga

who can take math and pull out God.

Carroll makes*the big mistake* of a number of physics "popularizers" today. He takes the mathematical language of a physical theory (or one version* of that theory, as there are multiple formulations of quantum theory) and pulls a physical ontology out of his math.

That's why it's called an "interpretation".  Every physical theory has an ontology that goes with it's mathematics, otherwise you don't know how to apply the mathematics.  That MWI entails other, unobservable "worlds" is neither a bug or a feature, it's just one answer to the measurement problem.  If you have a better answer, feel free to state it.

The math is not the territory.

* The Schrödinger equation is not the only way to study quantum mechanical systems and make predictions. The other formulations of quantum mechanics include matrix mechanics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_mechanics>, introduced by Werner Heisenberg <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg>, and the path integral formulation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_integral_formulation>, developed chiefly by Richard Feynman <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman>. Paul Dirac <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dirac> incorporated matrix mechanics and the Schrödinger equation into a single formulation.

The Schrödinger equation provides a way to calculate the wave function of a system and how it changes dynamically in time. However, the Schrödinger equation does not directly say /*what*/*, exactly, the wave function is*. Interpretations of quantum mechanics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics> address questions such as what the relation is between the wave function, the underlying reality, and the results of experimental measurements.

Did you write that, or are you quoting without attribution?  Anyway it's common knowledge on this list.