On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 9:31 AM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 at 08:54, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 11:01 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Probability derived from self-locating uncertainty is an idea
>>> independent of any particular physics. It is also independent of any theory
>>> of consciousness, since we can imagine a non-conscious observer reasoning
>>> in the same way. To some people it seems trivially obvious, to others it
>>> seems very strange. I don’t know if which group one falls into correlates
>>> with any other beliefs or attitudes.
>>>

>> As I said, self-locating uncertainty is just another idea imposed on the
>> quantum formalism without any real theoretical foundation -- "it is just
>> imposed by fiat on a deterministic theory." If nothing else, this shows
>> that Carroll's claim that Everett is just "plain-vanilla" quantum
>> mechanics, without any additional assumptions, is a load of self-deluded
>> hogwash.
>>

> And as I said, probabilities derived from self-locating uncertainty is,
> for many people, trivially obvious, just a special case of frequentist
> inference.

That is not a particularly solid basis on which to base a scientific
theory. The trivially obvious is seldom useful.....

The greater problem is that any idea of probability founders when all
outcomes occur for any measurement. Or have you not followed the arguments
I have been making that shows this to be the case?

Bruce