> On 5 Mar 2020, at 11:54, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 9:39 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2020, at 00:39, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com
> <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I think it worth noting that to some people it is obvious that if an entity
>> is to be duplicated in two places it should have a 1/2 expectation of
>> finding itself in one or other place while to other people it is obvious
>> that there should be no such expectation.
>
> It is not just obvious. It is derivable from the simplest definition of
> “first person” and “third person”.
>
> This is simply false. It cannot be derived from anything. The truth is that
> testing any such notion about  the probability by repeating the trial shows
> that no single value of the probability is appropriate. Alternatively, for
> most 1p observers, any particular theory about the probability will be
> disconfirmed.

The P(W or M) = 1 is confirmed by all copies. P(W and M) = 1 is refuted by all
copies.

> The first person data is the particular bit string recorded by an individual.

Yes, but seen from that individual’s point of view.

> From the 3p perspective,

Note that the question is about the 1p perspective ….

> there are 2^N different 1p bit strings after N trials.

In Helsinki you know in advance that you will get only one of the result among
the 2^N different bit strings.

Bruno