On 3/4/2020 4:34 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 10:39 AM Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au <mailto:li...@hpcoders.com.au>> wrote:

    On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 09:46:34AM +1100, Bruce Kellett wrote:

    > The greater problem is that any idea of probability founders
    when all outcomes
    > occur for any measurement. Or have you not followed the
    arguments I have been
    > making that shows this to be the case?

    I must admit I haven't followed the arguments either - admittedly, I
    haven't read your cited material.

    ISTM - probability is all about what an observer observes. Since the
    observer cannot see all outcomes, an objection based on all outcomes
    occurring seems moot to me.

The fact that the observer cannot see all outcomes is actually central to the argument. If, in the person-duplication scenario, the participant naively assumes a probability p = 0.5 for each outcome, such an intuition can only be tested by repeating the duplication a number of times and inferring a probability value from the observed outcomes. Since each observer can see only the outcomes along his or her particular branch (and, ipso facto, is unaware of the outcomes on other branches), as the number of trials N becomes very large, only a vanishingly small proportion of observers will confirm their 50/50 prediction . This is a trivial calculation involving only the binomial coefficient -- Brent and I discussed this a while ago, and Brent could not fault the maths.

The crux of the matter is that all branches are equivalent when both outcomes occur on every trial, so all observers will infer that their observed relative frequencies reflect the actual probabilities. Since there are observers for all possibilities for p in the range [0,1], and not all can be correct, no sensible probability value can be assigned to such duplication experiments.

The problem is even worse in quantum mechanics, where you measure a state such as

 |psi> = a|0> + b|1>.

When both outcomes occur on every trial, the result of a sequence of N trials is all possible binary strings of length N, (all 2^N of them). You then notice that this set of all possible strings is obtained whatever non-zero values of a and b you assume. The assignment of some propbability relation to the coefficients is thus seen to be meaningless -- all probabilities occur equal for any non-zero choices of a and b.

But  E(number|0>) = aN  and Var(number|0>) = abN.  The fraction x within one std-deviation of the expected number is a constant

    F( a-sqrt[ab/N]<x<a+sqrt[ab/N])=1/e

So that fraction become more an more sharply confined around a as N->oo.

Brent

    You may counter that the assumption that an observer cannot see all
    outcomes is an extra thing "put in by hand", and you would be right,
    of course. It is not part of the Schroedinger equation. But I would
    strongly suspect that this assumption will be a natural outcome of a
    proper theory of consciousness, if/when we have one. Indeed, I
    highlight it in my book with the name "PROJECTION postulate".

    This is, of course, at the heart of the 1p/3p distinction - and of
    course the classic taunts and misunderstandings between BM and JC
    (1p-3p confusion).

I know that it is a factor of the 1p/3p distinction. My complaint has frequently been that advocates of the "p = 0.5 is obvious" school are often guilty of this confusion.

    Incidently, I've started reading Colin Hales's "Revolution of
    Scientific Structure", a fellow Melburnian and member of this
    list. The interesting proposition about this is Colin is proposing
    we're on the verge of a Kuhnian paradigm shift in relation to the role
    of the observer in science, and the that this sort of misunderstanding
    is a classic symptom of such a shift.

Elimination of the observer from physics was one of the prime motivations for Everett's 'relative state' idea. Given that 'measurement' and 'the observer' play central roles in variants of the 'Copenhagen' interpretation.

Bruce
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLT2SH5bcRn9zc3WHbp%3DcGbgiBxK7aLs3GCCzjs7rQ3W%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLT2SH5bcRn9zc3WHbp%3DcGbgiBxK7aLs3GCCzjs7rQ3W%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.