On 4/30/2021 11:20 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 12:56 PM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com <mailto:terren.suy...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    /> I have arguments against your arguments,/

They say persistence is a virtue so I'll ask the same question for the fourth time;  given that evolution can't select for what it can't see and natural selection can see intelligent behavior but it can't see consciousness, can you give me an explanation of how evolution managed to produce a conscious being such as yourself if intelligence is not the inevitable byproduct of intelligence?

I could be the inevitable byproduct of the only path open to evolution.  Evolution has to always build on what has already been evolved.  So what was inevitable starting with ATP->ADP or RNA or DNA, might not be inevitable starting with silicon or gallium.  For example, electronics are so much faster than neurons, it might be possible to implement intelligent behavior just by creating giant hash tables of experience and using them as look-ups for responses. I don't know that this is possible, but it's not obviously impossible and then it would hard to say whether this form of AI had qualia or not...unless you accepted my engineering view on qualia.